Parts 37-41

Part 37

.

I open the door for Tess. She looks as lovely as she's always been. Her face has that glow of a healer.

She is smiling and puts her arms around me. I hug her back.

"June!" She says. Then whispers "Is everything okay between Day and you now?"

I nod. She smiles when she looks at me.

.

I let her in. Day has gotten up to meet Tess. Eden stands too but he doesnt say anything. His eyes are on Tess.

"Hey cousin, didnt June tell you to keep your butt ready? I've got some kicking to do!" She says as she slaps Day's shoulder. Day laughs and shakes his head.

.

"Hi Eden" Tess says.

Eden's face lights up. "Hi"

Tess asks "So how was your interview today?"

Day speaks excitedly "Eden nailed it! He is selected for the batalla engineering position."

Eden blushes. He is so shy.

.

"Thats wonderful. Eden" Tess says happily. "Congratulations!" She offers her hand to Eden.

"Thanks" Eden takes it.

She turns to Day "So cousin, welcome back to the republic!"

.

Day has his hands in his pockets.

He nods and says "Thanks cousin! I'm more than happy to be back." He stares at me.

I smile and stare back. Then his eyes moves a little down below my eyes...  then a little below my nose... then to my... lips.

"Ahem" I say to cause a little distraction. He snaps out of it and smiles.

.

I think Tess has seen our little exchange. But she acts like she hasn't.

"So, when are you moving here?" Tess asks excitedly.

"Um. In a couple of days maybe." Day replies. And then he asks "Eden, when's your joining in the batalla?"

Tess is now seated with Eden while Day and i have taken a chair each.

"Tomorrow. I agreed to it." Eden says.

.

.

Part 38

.

"I will be honoured by the Elector Primo himself." Eden says proudly.

Day glances at me as Eden says Elector's name. I gauge his reaction. But this time Day just shrugs.

.

"Thats amazing!" I say.

"Yes! And you all have to come." Eden says happily. Day and I exchange a look. "Wait, what?" Day asks.

"Daniel, i want you to be there. Elector Primo and I will go live from the Capital Tower with a surprise announcement. Tomorrow, ten a.m."

.

"Surprise announcement? About what?" I ask.

"Can't tell anybody before tomorrow. Elector's orders. Sorry. Thats why its called a 'surprise' announcement." Eden replies coyly.