Part 52-53

Part 52

.

I stare them down.

Two of the officers lower their guns. But they stand alert as if they are ready to pounce at the slightest movement.

Except the middle one who tried to push me a few seconds ago.

He is still training his gun at us.

"Miss Iparis, try to understand. We cannot let you interrupt the Elector midway through his speech." He says.

.

Day slowly pulls me back and gets in front of me "I got this, June."

"No, we got this." I step beside him. "Go ahead." I say to the officer who is still training his gun on us.

The officer looks tense now.

"Miss Iparis, we don't have to do this."

"Then call your Elector." I say through gritted teeth.

.

He turns back for a second to see if the speech is over. It isn't.

I grab the opportunity "Anden!" I shout really loud this time craning my neck to see past the officers at the balcony.

Anden's head jerks in our direction, i guess he heard me.

The officers are so startled that they grab me by my arms while the officer with the gun steps forward and points his gun at Day's forehead.

.

"Whats the commotion-" comes Anden's voice first. Then comes Anden. He stops as he takes in the scene before him.

He flicks his fingers at the officers. They immediately leave us to stand at one side.

I flex my shoulders.

"Don't you ever lay hands on Miss Iparis and Mr Wing ever again." He says angrily to all three of them. They nod. "Good. Now leave us."

They hurry off without glancing back.

.

"June... Miss Iparis," Anden says "I'm really sorry for all this."

I stare at him. He looks at me. Then at Day. "I'm sorry Mr Wing." .

"You betrayed me." I say through clenched teeth. "I never expected this from you."

He comes forward and raises his hand to put on my shoulder. But Day steps beside me and puts his hand around my shoulder. Anden puts his hand down.

"June, you need to hear me out first." 

.

"I heard you alright." I snap. "If you think you can send me to Antartica, then you are wrong."

He sighs deeply. Almost... sadly.

.

Part 53

.

Hear him out?

I raise my eyebrows at Day. He gives a slight nod.

Anden's eyes move from me to Day to me again.

.

"Please give me a chance to explain." He says to both of us.

"Fine, explain!" I stare at him.

He nods and says "Lets move to the discussion room." He points his thumb backwards. I can see a closed door adjacent to the balcony entrance.

.

We don't move.

"June, please!" He requests this time. His fingers are looped together near his chest. As if he is saying a prayer. I can see he really means it.

"Fine, but make it quick." I say.

He nods again and turns to move.

We follow him to the door.

"Just a minute." He stops abruptly at the balcony gate. Then he moves out in the balcony and finishes his speech with a gratitude and farewell to the President.

.

After a complete minute, he steps out of the balcony towards us. He looks... nervous?

The President and a guard follows him. I feel Day stiffen at my side.

.

"I suppose you remember Miss Iparis." Anden says as they approach us.

The President regards me. Then says "Ofcourse! The Republic's own prodigy." He holds his hand out. I take it. Then his eyes move to Day.

"Here we have Mr Wing." He says to Day holding his hand out.

But Day acknowledges him with just a stiff nod.

The President says "Finally, we have met in person, Mr Wing."

Day stares at him.

Then the President turns to explain to Anden. "Mr Wing is a royalty in Antartica. He refused the President's repeated offers to become his second in command." Anden and I raise our eyebrows in surprise.

The President chuckles, then continues "Who rejects the President's request thrice to meet in person? None other than the Republic's own Champion and Antartica's own royalty- Mr Wing."

It comes out as a sneer instead of a praise from the President's mouth.

.

Day interrupts him before he can say more "Excuse us, Mr President. But we have some unfinished business with the Elector here."

Then he says to Anden "Would you care to finish it?"

I am non-plussed.

I know Day has always been a  straight forward person.

But this... this is quite rude. And brave.

The President regards Anden who says "Sir, its been an honour to meet you. And we thank you for participating in our talent-exchange programme."

What the heck? I give Anden a death stare, if thats what it is called when you stare at a person by narrowing your eyes to a slit, gritting your teeth and clenching your fists.

Anden blinks at me. But says to the President "Please consider my earlier modification request."

The President looks at me. "I'll think about that." Then they exchange their pleasantries.

The President moves off with a guard on his trail.

.

"In here," Anden says opening the door for us.

We follow him in.

.

.