Part 56

Part 56

.

'He has agreed to step down from his post to keep you here, June.'

Tess's words play again and again in my mind.

Why did Anden do that?

There must be some way out of this.

.

I slip my phone back to my pocket and return to the discussion room.

Day and Anden both look up when they see me enter.

It seems like neither of them uttered a single word in my absence.

"Sorry guys, it was Tess." I say to fill in the awkward silence.

They both nod.

I sit down and watch Anden carefully.

He starts fidgeting with the table cloth.

.

"Anden, i know what happened out there. But i want to hear it from you. Tell me why did you agree to that?" I ask.

"I had no choice." Anden mutters. No choice. Why?

"What? What did he agree to?" Day asks eyeing Anden suspiciously. He leans forward and stares directly at Anden.

.

Before Anden can speak, i put my hand on Day's arm and say "Day, the President has accused Anden of treachery. He claimed that the Elector intends to take away Antarctica's best talents and that he is trying to salvage Republic's best talents from going into Antarctica. He claimed that Anden is vying for Personal gain which is against the agreement."

.

"Oh." Day looks confused.

"Day, because Anden declared my acquisition void, the President has asked Anden to give up his post to prove that he has no personal interest in keeping me here. He has also asked to set the President's rule into motion where the people of the Republic itself will select their own President."

.

"And..." Day asks me "What did the Elector say to that?" Then he turns to look at Anden.

I sigh. "Anden, would you mind explaining it?"

.

He nods and speaks "Mr Wing, Miss Iparis, i had to agree to it at the moment. That will buy me some time to think it through."

Day's expression changes. Now he looks at Anden with... concern?

.

Day says to Anden "The President cannot force you to give up your post. Can he?"

Anden looks at me.

He says nervously "Yes he can. Because the programme will stand cancelled if i don't agree to it."

Anden is dead serious. His eyes are pleading. I shudder as the realisation hits me.

If the agreement stands cancelled, Eden and Day would have to go back to Antarctica.

.