Part 65

Part 65

.

Day gives a surprised laugh.

"Mr Elector, this is no time for a joke, ya know. Your job is on the line here, if you don't realise that."

I look at Anden to see if he is really joking but his eyes are dead serious. He means it. "What-" Mariana is dumbfounded. She leaves her question incomplete as she shakes her head in disapproval.

.

"Ms. Dupree, hear me out first. Then i promise we'd all discuss this mutually." Anden tells Mariana. She gives a stiff nod.

"I'm not the Elector anymore, Mr Wing. And I'm not fooling around." Anden replies. "The people have doubted my intentions in the past. They might doubt me now. It was because of you that i gained their support. If it weren't for you, i might not even be the Elector."

.

"So what are you suggesting? You don't want to be the President? You want Day to become one?" I frown at him.  "True, Day helped you gain Republic's trust in the past. But you maintained it. It was you who proved yourself worthy of the post time and again."

.

"Miss Iparis, i'm trying to say that i have slim chances of winning the elections. I have this feeling that people wouldn't want me as their leader once again. Most of them blame me and my father for that war with the colonies ten years ago. And if i lose, i would never want to see Republic in the hands of someone that i don't trust." Anden locks his eyes with Day. "Mr Wing is the Legend of the Republic. He emerged as the Champion in the end. I trust him. People would want him as their leader. He is undoubtedly the better man for the post." He says. "Ofcourse you know it more than anyone else. Don't you, Miss Iparis?" His expression is pleading.

.

I sense that by 'better man', Anden is not just referring to the post.

I've never given a thought to this before. Day would make a great leader. He lead the patriots during the war. He helped us win the war, almost losing his life in the process.

But Anden is older, he has experience. He is a much better leader than his father. He places Republic's interest above his own. He has worked for the betterment of Republic all these years. Besides, i don't think Day would ever agree to become the President.

.

Anden is still speaking "-on top of everything, the Republic loved Day. They had always looked up to him in the past. And i'm sure they still do. If he runs for the Elections, he stands more chances of winning than i currently stand."

.

"No way." Day says sharply. "You might as well find yourself another candidate if you really don't want to run for the elections. I want some peace in my life. I ain't sticking my nose in this goddy election business."

I take a deep breath. I feel relieved by Day's statement. He'd suffered so much in the past that i doubt he ever slept peacefully those times. No wonder he would want some peace.

.

"Mr Wing, i'm giving you time to think about it. Make your final decision. You have today. Tomorrow morning, Mariana would be announcing the two candidates who'd be competing for the post and out of those two, one candidate has already called to express his interest." 

.

"Enough. I've made my decision. I don't want this. Do whatever you want. But you can't force me-" Day stands up abruptly. His chair falls back with a loud noise.

I tug at Day's hand "Nobody is going to force you. Please sit down."

"I'm okay." He keeps standing.

Hmmph. I stand too.

"June, don't." Day pleads.

"I'm okay." I say back.

He sighs, pulls his chair back from the floor and sits back down.

I suppress a tense smile and take my seat.

.

Just a few minutes ago, i was hoping that everything would be sorted out if Anden becomes the President. But now Anden is

complicating things for himself.

I wonder what made Anden lose faith in himself. He's always acted confidently until now. I wonder what shook his confidence.

He is afraid that he'd lose. But why? Wait, he said that he don't want to see Republic in the hands of someone that he don't trust. 

.

"Anden," I just realised something "You said one candidate has already expressed his interest. Who is it?"

Anden exchanges a look with Mariana.

"Serge Carmmichael." Anden says.

Serge?

Him, Mariana and I were trained together to become the  Princeps-Elect. When I had expressed my unwillingness to become the Princeps elect, Anden has chosen Mariana over Serge to become his princeps elect.

.

I realise that Serge might not be on good terms with Anden.

So thats why Anden is afraid.

He is not afraid of losing.

He is afraid of seeing Republic in Serge's hands.

Thats why he wants Day to stand against Serge.

Anden thinks that Day stands greater chances at winning than him.

.

"Serge called to tell us that he'd win the elections at any cost." Mariana confesses. "He wants Republic out of Anden's control."

.

.