Ch 18 - Call me...

Dr Alex told the nurses to leave the boys in peace for the rest of the day, or until they called for someone.

    "Is everything all right?" Heidi asked him after he made the announcement.

    He nodded.

    "Yes, they're fine. They just sort of poured their hearts out to each other and I wanted to let them have some time to talk it over without fear of being interrupted or overheard."

    "Oh, well that's good."

    Dr Alex motioned for Heidi to follow him.

    For some reason, that caused butterflies to erupt in her stomach.

    "Is Evan okay? Is it Connor? What's wrong?"

    "Oh, Nurse Hansen, this isn't about the boys." Dr Alex said, smiling nervously.

    Heidi felt those butterflies again.    

    "Oh. Well then...call me Heidi." she blushed. Ew! Cringe! Why did she say that, ugh!

    Dr Alex smiled.

    "And you can call me Xander." He said with a wink. Suddenly she didn't feel so foolish. "So...I wanted to know if you were free at all on Saturday night."

    Heidi tried to remember her schedule. She probably wasn't, but if she put in her request today she might be able to get off.

    "I believe I am." She said.

    "Perfect." He grabbed her hand and kissed it, causing her face to turn brighter than Evan's when he has to talk to someone. "I'll see you Saturday." He walked off, happy that Heidi agreed to the date.

    Evan and Connor saw the whole thing. For some reason, the two didn't even realize they were standing outside Connor's room.

    "They must have been too focused on each other." Evan giggled.

    "Shh," Connor said. He didn't want Heidi to know they knew. She turned around and Connor quickly pushed the blinds back. Heidi was too in her head to notice the spies.

    Evan and Connor sat on the bed.

    "So."

    "So." Evan took Connor's hand and began drawing little patterns on his palm. Sometimes when he was nervous he would draw patterns on his leg or a table, and it calmed him. He wasn't particularly nervous right now, but he knew their conversation could quickly turn uncomfortable.

    "Evan, that letter-"

    "I know, you probably don't feel the same as I do, I tend to feel things really deeply, and I shouldn't have unloaded all of that on you and I'm sorry, but I really needed to get it out, and I'm not sure what you feel, but I thought that maybe-"

    "Ev! Take a breath!" Connor managed to interject. He had no idea how Evan managed to spew so many words out so quickly, but he thought Evan would make a great auctioneer if he was ever able to talk in front of people.

    "R-right. Sorry." He pulled his hand back from Connor and scratched his head awkwardly. He hated when he spoke like that. The quick speed made him more nervous, even though it was his doing.

    "Now, take a deep breath." Connor instructed, putting his arms on Evan's shoulders. Evan did as he was told, and when he released and opened his eyes, Connor's face was close to his and his eyes were locked on Evan's. Evan stared into Connor's eyes, hypnotised. He never let people this close to him, he never let anyone in. Then came Connor, who broke down all his walls, who he actually revealed his true self to.

    "I...I..." Connor faltered, unable to say what he was going to say. Instead, he leaned in, pressing his lips to Evan's. Evan responded, sliding his fingers into Connor's hair, and pressing him closer.

    Connor broke apart, breathing heavily. He looked at Evan and said boldly, "I love you."

    Evan's eyes widened.

"R-really?"

    Connor nodded slowly. That wasn't what he planned to do, and that certainly wasn't the reaction he'd hoped for. Maybe they weren't ready for this?

    Evan grinned and wrapped his arms around Connor's waist, resting his head on his chest.

    "I love you too, Con." He whispered. It took Connor, who was a bit dazed by what was happening, a couple moments to react, but when he realized Evan didn't hate him, he hugged his boyfriend back.

***

Hey everyone! Sorry this chapter is so short. I was going to work on it today after church but it ended up being a crazy day. I ended up taking a two hour walk no where. Just walking with no destination in mind. Anyway hope you like it! Please vote and comment, I wanna say thanks to @PayYourFckingTaxes for always being the first to vote and comment, I really appreciate it. You made me want to start writing again. ❤️

~hamilfan123987