Ch 2- Hospital Visit

Evan wakes up in a bed that isn't his own. He slowly opens his eyes and lets them adjust to the harsh lighting in the white room.

He moves his arms to push himself up but something moves with him. Upon looking down, he sees that his arm is connected to an IV.

Someone put a needle in his arm while he was asleep!

Evan gasps and struggles to take in another breath. His chest tightens and his heart is beating wildly.

Who did that? What's wrong with him? Where is everyone?

The door swings open and he yelps, unprepared for the sudden flood of people in the room. Two doctors and a nurse appear, running to the side of his bed. All three of them are trying to talk to him, or to each other, Evan isn't sure which.

His heart keeps up the fast beat, and his chest gets even tighter. He isn't breathing at all now, and he can see little dots blink before his eyes.

"Stop it! Get out!" a voice calls. It sounds very familiar...it's very soothing. The tightness lessens a bit and he takes a gasping breath as his mom walks into view. She pushes the doctors aside and rushes to his bedside, throwing herself to her knees and holding Evan's hand, careful not to get too close to his face.

"Evan, honey, calm down. Take deep breaths. It'll be okay." She soothes. He tries his hardest to believe her, to calm himself down, and after a few moments he can breathe normally. He lies back in the bed, still grasping his mom's hand like a lifeline. She's never around, so even though these are terrible circumstances, he's still glad he can have a couple moments with her.

It's silent in the room, and he opens his eyes to see the doctors watching him skeptically and the nurse is glaring at his mom.

He looks at his mom. Wisps of her hair are falling out of the ponytail and her eyes are red and puffy. Evan feels exhausted and really doesn't want to move, but he reaches up, wanting to brush the tears off her face.

But he realizes he can't move his left arm. He looks at it and see it's covered in a hard white material. It's a cast!

"Wh-wh-what?" He croaks, feeling panic start to set in again.

"Evan, sweetie. It's just a cast." Heidi starts smoothing his hair down, trying to comfort him. He moves his head just out of her reach. It's too much right now.

Looking slightly hurt, Heidi pulls back.

"When you fell, you broke your arm. Somehow, from 30 feet up, that's all you managed to injure, but you'll have to keep that on for about a month."

Evan nods slowly, staring at the cast. He's such a screw up. He can't even kill himself when he wanted to, and when he does it by accident, it doesn't even work.

"W-wait." Evan realizes something. "H-how did y-you know I f-fell?"

Heidi's eyes get a curious spark in them as she says, "You were with a boy. He called the ambulance and saved your life, Evan." Her voice gets thick and tears spring to her eyes. "I have no idea how I'll ever repay him for saving my boy!"

Evan feels a rush of guilt. He almost did that to his mom, almost left her alone. How would she have felt if he just...disappeared?

"It's okay, m-mom. I'm here."

She nods.

"He's outside, actually. He's been here everyday asking to see you."

"E-every d-day?" Evan asks, incredulous. "H-how long was I o-out?"