Ouch. That one hurt. Even Fern could tell she had struck a nerve, because she was looking down at the ground in a mixture of anger and shame.

“That was low, Fern.” Arwin said.

The following 20 or so seconds of silence were the longest and most awkward 20 seconds of my life.

My eyes went slightly watery, and I wiped them with the back of my hand.

“Eve?” Benji asked softly. “Are you OK?”

“Let’s go.” I grumbled quietly. I got to my feet and marched through the trees, anger flaring throughout me. Arwin quickly got to her feet and caught up to me, wrapping a comforting arm around my shoulders. I leaned on her shoulder as Benji, Fern and Shane caught up to us.

“When will this be over?” I whispered. Arwin gave a tiny shrug.

“I don’t know.”

Chase McKinney POV

I gripped my sword and brought the sharp blade down in a curving sweep, missing Jai by mere centimetres. He dove to the right just in time, making the blade clash noisily against a rock.

Suddenly, Xavier charged forward, knocking me roughly to the side. Ramona quickly picked up the tree branch she had been using and smashed Xavier in the face with it. Xavier cried out and collapsed backwards, blood now flowing from his nose. Jai swore and picked up his daggers, running towards us with a dangerous glint in his eyes.

Talia cowered behind us as I brought my sword down, almost cutting Jai in half. The sword made a gash in Jai’s leg, and he swore angrily. Suddenly, he stopped moving, staring in horror down the cliff.

“Shiiit…” He mumbled under his breath. I looked over the cliff and very nearly had a heart attack. Aria and Honour were climbing the cliffs, twisted grins plastered on their face. Aria held her chakram and throwing knives, and Honour had her daggers and Piper’s bow along with her quiver.

Suddenly, Honour screamed out in pain. I looked down at her leg and saw a spear sticking out of her calf.

Holy shit.

Hunter’s here too?

Sure enough, Hunter was climbing up the cliff quickly, a snarl on his face.

“Run!” I ordered Talia. She limped back, but suddenly an almighty tremor went through the earth, shaking the ground to its core. Talia screamed and fell back, landing hard on her hip. I looked around the cliff, my heart beating wildly. Every single tribute was here. Even Fern and her gang, who were standing near the trees.

“Hellooooooo tributes!” Came the cheery voice of the head gamemaker, Dravius Flamingboul.

“Oh god.” Ramona whispered.

“You may have noticed that a tremor just occurred. Believe me, it was no coincidence.”

Every tribute went still, dreading what he was going to say next. Another tremor went through the ground, and Aria and Honour shrieked as their feet slid out from underneath them. They quickly staggered onto the cliff.

“Well, us gamemakers have a very special surprise for you!” Dravius yelled out.

“I have a riddle for you guys! What’s destructive, scary, and fatal?”