Chapter Fourteen

Começar do início

“Do you know anything about our world?” Mr. Parker asked.

“Just what we learned in Haven, which isn’t much.” 

“People like us, people with power, live by the laws in our world. We have our own schools, government and places that we claim as our own. We live side by side with the Ignorant, for the most part peacefully. It’s always been that way and will continue to be so.” When no one said anything, he looked at Cibrian. “William Stan’s death has gone global. I can see you know Jordan’s connected to his death. No one will link Jordan Parker with the death of William Stan. The girl in the surveillance video has nothing to do with my daughter. Got it?”

Cibrian nodded, looking troubled and uncomfortable.

“Why?” Levi asked.

“William Stan was well loved by the people. Those loyal to him want to believe the girl was part of a conspiracy to have him assassinated. If anyone finds out Jordan is linked to William’s death, they’ll kill her.”

Jordan moved the food around on her plate with a shaky fork. 

“If anyone asks about Jordan’s past, the story is that she was raised in the Ignorant world until she Awakened. Got it?”

“About her power,” Cibrian ventured. “When will she get it back?”

There was a long silence. 

“I don’t know,” Mr. Parker admitted and glared at her. “It doesn’t help that she keeps doing stupid stuff that weakens her.”

“To protect myself,” Jordan said indignantly. 

“Which you wouldn’t have to do if you stayed on property,” he retaliated. 

“So, all this is happening to Jordan because she’s your daughter and she might have all the elements?” Levi asked.

“Yes.”

Jordan slumped in her seat. Mr. Parker’s eyes settled on her for a second before hr focused on Levi again. 

“I’m a sorcerer. You understand what that means?” 

“That you could lose it and kill people?” Levi said.

A muscle ticked in Mr. Parker’s cheek. Heath coughed. 

“I have power like William, but Kelly has orders to report me to the Council or take care of me herself.”

Kelly smiled and Levi looked doubtfully back at Mr. Parker. 

“I also have the pills they served in Haven. Those pills will keep me sane long enough for Kelly to decide what tact she’s going to use.” He paused. “I went to Haven and found it empty.” 

“We’re not lying,” Jordan said stonily. 

“I’m not saying you are. I’m trying to say that there must be a lot of people involved in this operation and they’re powerful to keep something like this under wraps.”

Cibrian opened his mouth to speak, but Jordan and Levi shot him a warning glance and he drank more soda. Jordan didn’t want to talk about the Master, didn’t want to give Mr. Parker another reason to yell at her. 

“I’m trying to track those responsible,” Mr. Parker said, but the anger in his voice indicated he wasn’t getting anywhere. He focused on Levi. “Do you know what the purpose of Haven was?”

“William would break the kids that Awakened.”

“You could hear them screaming,” Jordan said dazedly.