Chapter 37: Amanda Baldwin

I nailed that interview. I had it in the bedroom after reading the emails Odette had been sending the guy. They offered me the job on the spot and I accepted it.

We took the first plane to Ohio after telling everyone we were moving.

They weren't angry. Gabe and Harper said they would do the same if it was switched, Anna said she was expecting it and Mason said he was too, that he would do the same also.

I got a rental car in Ohio and we didn't tell anybody we were coming.

However, they are all under the impression that we are FaceTiming to plan the baby shower.

Which means all Odeletta's family and all of my family are at my parents house.

I navigate the familiar streets to my parents house.

"I'm so excited." Odette admits, her eyes shining as she smiles. "I can't wait to move into that house."

"Whoa there tiger, take it easy." I say, squeezing her shoulder. "It might not work out baby."

She pouts and looks out the window.

I park behind my Dad's pickup truck and kill the engine.

We were supposed to FaceTime them five minutes ago and my phone has vibrates multiples time and so has Odette's.

I get out and go around to help Odette.

Her belly isn't big enough to make her waddle but it's big enough for me to want to help her.

I lock the car and shove the keys in my pocket when she's out and next to me.

"When we get inside I need to sit down. My back hurts." She says.

"Alright." I kiss her cheek and help her to the door. I ring the bell and wait.

A moment later, Matthew pulls the door open.

"Whoa!" He says. "Hey! What are you guys doing in Ohio?"

"Who is it?" Mom calls.

He doesn't answer her while I hug him and we clap each other on the back. He hugs Odette.

"You look good for five months pregnant."

"Thank you." She says.

I put my hand on the small of her back and guide her into the house just as Mom walks into the living room with a dish rag in her hands.

"Oh my!" She puts her hand on her heart. "Look at you! You're glowing!" She runs straight to Odeletta and hugs her, and then she turns to me. "Have you been taking care of your wife?"

"Yes Mom." I laugh, hugging her.

She pats my cheek affectionate. Odeletta just looks at me.

"Right. A chair. Couch or kitchen?"

"Kitchen." She says.

I walk with her to the kitchen.

Everyone gasps when we walk in, Mom and Matthew behind us.

"Aww!" Rosalie hugs Odette with a smile. "Look at my niece, you look so good."

"I don't feel good." She says. All the seats at the breakfast are taken, but Julian gets up and pulls his chair out for her.

"Gotta make sure my big sister and my nephew don't get hurt." He says, kissing her cheek.

"I'll stand." She waves him off.

I ignore her and guide her to the chair, making her sit down.

"What are you guys doing in Ohio?" Josh asks, smiling. Odette looks up at me.