Chapter 27: Fight

"You can't avoid it forever." I say to Odeletta the next morning.

"I can if I want to." She says, walking out of the bedroom for the bathroom. I follow her.

"What do you expect to do? Keep having panic attacks like last night, keep hiding? Keep getting scared to leave the house? Keep-"

"That women has done so much for me! I'm not asking her to let me in again!" She snaps.

"Fine." I practically growl. "You don't have to."

By the time she comprehends my words, I'm already halfway down the staircase.

Instantly she starts yelling at me in French, storming downstairs after me.

"Nathan, n'ose pas lui demander! Elle a tellement fait! Vous ne demanderez pas!" She shouts after me.

She told me not to ask, that she's done so much, and then she told me I won't ask her.

Ignoring her, I walk right up to Gwen.

"Hey, can Odeletta come stay with you for a month or so until we get a place in Chicago?" I ask her flat out.

She raises her eyebrows, looking at me and then at Odette.

"Of course she can." She furrows her eyebrows. "Why does she look pissed?"

"Oh don't worry." I smile warmly. "She's pissed at me."

"You are infuriating!" Odette yells, throwing her hands up. "Now I do not regret not giving you the answers to that French test!"

I gasp, whipping around.

"You know that's a sore subject!" I say angrily. "You made me fail that fucking test!"

"You should have studied!" She snarls, turning around and storming for the stairs.

I sprint, darting in front of her. I move and block the staircase.

She gives me that death glare that Gwen does where her eyes resemble knives.

Three years ago if she gave me that look, it would've been a struggle not to flinch, but now it doesn't even faze me.

"I almost failed that class because of you!" I snap.

"You passed that class because of me." She says. I can see humor in her eyes so I know she's not actually mad.

"You made me fail that test!"

"You should have studied! Move Nathan."

"No." I say.

She tries to dart until my arm but I move quickly in front of her, and every time she tries to dart around me, I move. I'm grinning at how frustrated she's getting.

"Move or I'll make you move!" She exclaims, raising her fist.

"Aww." I smile, pointing. "Look how little."

"Aww!" She puts her hand on her mouth and points to the crotch of my jeans. "Look how little!"

Memories of her calling me little before we had sex hits me and I narrow my eyes. I hear everyone in the living room laughing.

"You're not very nice, french fry."

I dart towards her, catching her small body in mine. I throw her over my shoulder like a feather.

"Nathan!" She shrieks, but she's laughing. "Put me down!"

I run to the living room and fling her back over my shoulder. She screams but before her head or body can connect to the floor, I catch her, dangling her in the air.