Chapter 22: Darlin

She left at one in the afternoon and it's nine at night.

Night at night and we haven't heard a word.

Panic is an understatement.

"I should've made her let me go with her." I say, pacing. "I mean, what if that guy has her?"

"What guy?" Gwen asks.

"That's a long story." I grumble. "Why isn't she answering the phone?"

"Maybe she's just out trying to get some air." Mason says.

"No, something is wrong." I snap. "Something's wrong."

"Okay, let's calm down a bit." Matthew says. His voice is smooth and cool. "First things first, if something bad were to happen, who is her emergency contact in regards to medical thing?"

"Me." I say. "It's me. It's been me for a few years."

He just points to the outlet that has the phone charges plugged into it.

I turn my ringer on and plug the phone in, sighing.

"Second, and I mean this without meaning to hurt anybody's feelings but Odeletta lived in the woods for years. If something is wrong and she's not injured, she'll be fine."

"But it's winter." Aunt Rosalie argues.

"She lives through five Illinois winters in the woods." Gwen says calmly. "She's a smart resourceful girl."

"She had the proper materials for winter then." I argue.

"Nathan, sweetie, we met in winter and she came to me in jeans and a t-shirt and a jean jacket that was too light for her own good."

"That was when we knew her surroundings." I argue. "She knew where she was, where she could hide."

"Okay, that's true." She sounds worried now. "I'm sure she's fine."

"Something is wrong." I snap at everyone.

"Guys, respectfully, when Nathan went to jail and he was basically missing, we tried to tell Odette everything was fine but she insisted something was wrong." Harper says.

"It's like twin telepathy or something, and I'm telling you guys, there is something wrong."

"Okay." Gabe sighs. "Say something is wrong, what do we do?"

"We can't call the police until one tomorrow." I say, anxiety settling in. "What if that bastard has her?" I clench my fists. "I swear I'll freak the fuck out."

Odeletta

The cold winter air nips at my face as I walk down the street, the small slab of metal clutched in my right hand, my left hand holding Lucia's right handlebar, dragging her alongside me.

Shivering, I zip up my leather jacket as high as it will go, glancing down at the compass.

I was mad they they were all talking shit about Lucia so I left.

I was going on a ride to clear my head and ended up at Ninham Mountain State Forest.

I was just cruising along on my bike, enjoying the ride when suddenly, the engine cut out.

When I try to start her, she won't work.

She shouldn't need gas and she's not leaking.

There's no cell reception out here and even if there was, I don't have any power in my cell to call for help.