Chapter 21: Questions

Our flight wasn't until midnight, so we went to her house so she could pack.

I stand stiffly in her living room, watching.

I spot a photo on the wall of Gwen with a girl.

The girl in the photo is wearing a pink short sleeve shirt that hugs her body. She

She's so skinny, just standing there you can see her ribs. She has on a pair of night black jeans that fit her well. Her brown hair is really wavy and goes down to her hips. Gwen has her arm around the girl and the girl has her arm around Gwen.

They're both smiling, and the girl has white crooked teeth. I notice how the pink shirt is see through, showing her black bra through it. There's a necklace around the girls neck.

When my eyes land on her face, my jaw drops.

Because it's Odeletta. She looks so frail and unhealthy. Her brown eyes are the same though.

"She was seventeen there." Gwen says behind me. I jump.

"Sorry, this isn't my business, it's-"

"Of course it is. She's your fiancé." She says. "That was about a week after I met her. She was really nervous around me then, but I took her for coffee and she laughed for the first time." Gwen shakes her head, her eyebrows knitting together. "She was so skinny. I got her braces."

"She had braces?" I ask.

"Yes." She says. "Until I think her junior year of college." She says. "When I met her, she had never shaven, she wasn't taught how. She didn't know how to use a tampon and she was putting the pads on backwards. I taught her all of it. When I met her she hardly knew English."

"She told me that." I say, my finger brushing on Odette's face. "Her hair was so long." I whisper.

"It's not long like that anymore?" She asks I shake my head.

"No. It goes to about here." I point to her collar bone, frowning. "And she's thin still, but healthy thin. She's strong too. She can lift a lot. Her eyes have a sparkle in them that she didn't have when I met her. Do you want to see a picture of her?"

She looks at me.

"Can I?" She whispers.

"Sure."

I dig my phone from my pocket, looking for a good photo.

I find one that makes me smile.

"This was last October." I say. "We were in our kitchen on Halloween passing out candy." I laugh. "We wanted to do mean girls, and we lived with three other people at the time so it was all five of us. Odette wore the Gretchen Halloween outfit that's all the black leather and the little headband, Harper wore the Karen outfit, and my cousin Gabe-" I cut off, laughing again. "He worse the Regina outfit, leotard and all. And then my friend Mason was Cady with the murder bride or whatever, and then I was Regina's mom with the pink sweater and the leggings. They were Odette's favorite leggings and I stretched them out and she still laughs at me for it.

I show her the picture and she laughs.

"Wow. Odeletta looks really good. Healthy."

"Yeah, she is. She's beautiful."

She grins.

"How did you make boobs in that pink sweater?"

I start laughing again.

"Uh, one of Odette's bras and grapefruits."

She laughs.

"We should go." I say when I see it's already nine.