Chapter 19: Secrets

I don't think Odeletta has ever really been clingy. She's not that type. If she wanted a kiss from me, she would demand one, which I was used to.

But now after the trial and me almost going to prison for fifteen years, she's being...

Weird.

She's following me around everywhere. She followed me to the kitchen to get water, she followed me to the bathroom to pee.

When I sit, she sits next to me, when I move to the floor for something, she moves with me.

Everyone is noticing it, especially me.

It's weird having her like that.

So for dinner, after the trial, I sat in between Mason and Gabe because that's the only other seat open aside from the one between Mom and Opal's height chair.

And Odette sat between Mom and Opal and after we cleaned up from dinner, I went upstairs to change and noticed that she didn't follow me.

So why didn't she follow me?

When I do downstairs after putting on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt, I notice she's not down here either.

"Where's Odette?" I ask.

"No idea."Gabe says.

Confused, I wander around and then go down into the basement.

I go up and check the third floor.

She's not there either.

I go back downstairs and into the kitchen, confused.

"Still can't find her?" Josh calls.

"No, she's-"

I cut off when I notice the garage light is on. The garage door itself is shut, but that doesn't mean she didn't go in the side door.

"I think she's outside." I say, and then I stuff my feet in my boots and go outside in my t-shirt.

I walk around to the side door and find the door ajar.

I push it open more, peeking my head in.

She's standing with the tarp in her hand, staring at Lucia.

She already pulled it off but she never let it go.

She doesn't know I'm here, watching her.

I step in quietly.

She drops the tarp, her fingers brushing against the handlebars, tracing down to the seat.

"I know you're being me Nathan."

How the fuck?

I let out a small sigh, walking to the other side of the bike to stand in front of her.

She doesn't look up, she keeps her eyes trained on the black leather seat.

"That day we met..." she starts, her voice quiet. "I was late to French because I couldn't stop crying." She whispers. "Everything thinks I'm this machine that never lets anything get to her, but that's a load of shit. They think I'm so strong. But I'm human and I can only take so much shit in my life until I've reached my breaking point."

I shove my hands in the pockets of my sweatpants, listening.

"You know those scars I have on my left thigh?" She whispers.

I nod.

She has scars on her left thigh. They have been there as long as I've known her.

"I told you I got attacked by a cat when I was nine, but I lied." She bites her lip, glancing up at me. "We're getting married and I've never told you this. I've never told anybody this." She shakes her head. "I didn't get attacked by a cat, Nathan." She looks at me. "I did that to myself."