Chapter 9: Falling

When the black surface of Lucia is revealed, I see a flicker in her eyes.

A spark, if you will.

And when Adelaide scoffs at me and starts pulling her daughter's hand, I can't help but notice how Odeletta's eyes never stray from the bike.

"Odeletta, come on, you don't have to do this." She says, tugging her daughter away.

"Adelaide, give her a chance." Josh says, exasperated. "This could work. Give Nathan a chance. You're the only one that isn't struggling with the rest of us. Give Odeletta a chance."

Adelaide sighs, stepping away from Odeletta.

I dig the key from the pocket, and I notice how, instead of staring at one object, she's taking in a lot of things.

Her eyes are moving. Her eyes look at Lucia, the handlebars and the tires, and then she looks at me.

When I walk over to her, I hold the key out.

I don't force her to take it.

And with me getting close, she doesn't back up and fling when I hold out my hand like I'm going to hurt her.

Her eyes search my eyes for a long time, almost a full minute, and then my drift down to the key.

And she doesn't take it, she just looks away from me.

But she wants to take it. I can tell.

So I walk over to Lucia, sticking the key in. I turn it and do that tickle thing that slightly floods the engine.

And then I try the kickstart.

She watches me, and everyone moves into the garage to watch.

Her face never changes at my actions, but her eyes take in my every movement.

When the bike repeatedly doesn't start, I keep trying.

After my third attempt, her face isn't blank anymore.

Now, she's biting her lip, watching me with furrowed brows.

"Y-" she cuts off, taking a deep breath.

That's the only thing she's spoken in a week.

I look at her expectantly.

She looks conflicted, like my fiancé and the shell of her are fighting for dominance inside of her. She looks like she wants to tell me whatever I did wrong that's making Lucia not start.

Little does she know that I already know what I did wrong. I forgot the choke. But, I forgot it on purpose.

But she doesn't. She just watches, and when she releases her bottom lip from between her teeth, her hands move up to shove her hair back, a habit she does when she's stressed.

Something she hasn't done in a week. She's just been a shell, staring at the wall. She wasn't there.

When I try again and fail, she takes a caution step backwards.

Adelaide sighs audibly.

Odette moves to hide around the edge of the garage, but she peeks her head in and whispers something.

I didn't hear her. Nobody did, but I know what she said.

"I forgot the choke?" I ask slowly. She nods her head once.

"Oh yeah, that's right." I say.

I do the tickle again, turn on the choke, and slam my foot down on the kickstart.