Chapter 3: Plans

His eyebrows shoot up and all other side conversations stop. I hear a yelp of pain come from Annalise on the couch and I glance over to see she dropped her phone on her face. She grabs it and sits up, rubbing her lip.

When Josh doesn't say anything, I start rambling.

"Odeletta is..." I sigh. "She's my world. That girl controls me. I know her. I know if she had a bad day by one glance at her face. She's intimidating and infuriating but no matter how angry she makes me, I would never hurt her. When I've had a bad day a work, one smile or hug or kiss from her can make me feel better. Just her presence makes me feel better. I love her so much. I would do anything for her. I would do anything to make her happy.  She's everything to me. Calling her my girlfriend isn't enough, because she's so, so much more to me than that. I want her to be my wife. I can't spend my life without her. I don't want to. Every time I find something new about her, I love her more. I love her more every day. I love her even when...when I hate her and we're fighting, I love her. I will always love her. I want her to be the mother to my children...so...I'm out here to ask you if I can have your daughters hand in marriage."

Everyone is dead silent.

Slowly, he sits up, sipping his beer, his eyes looking at me deeply.

And then he starts laughing.

He stands up slowly.

"Nathan, from the moment I met you I knew you were going to marry my daughter." He says. "I've been waiting for you to ask me this question for years now. Not many men can handle her. She's a mouthful with a bad attitude and a big heart. She's stubborn, and somehow you put up with it and adore her. I knew when you watched her stop an execution and didn't run off that you would marry her. Of course you can marry Odeletta." He gives me a guy hug and then shakes my hand. "Welcome to the family."

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Oh my god." Annalise says. "How are you going to propose?"

"I have no idea." I admit, smiling.

I'm smiling because I'm going to get married. It's not just a thought anymore. I have to plan a proposal.

She starts hitting the couch cushion repeatedly.

"Come here!" She hisses. "Come plan!"

"You can't tell her." I say.

"I'm not going to say a word!" She exclaims.

So all the guys turn their chairs around and I go sit with Annalise.

"Do you have the ring yet?" She asks.

"No..." I trail off.

"Well we have to get it."

She pulls out her phone and googles engagement rings and goes to shopping.

I have over then thousand dollars saved up for this. I've been saving for this since I turned eighteen.

Even in my bitter stage, I always hoped I'd find somebody.

We scroll through them for a while.

"No." I say. "No. No. No. No."

We go through them for almost an hour.

"What kind of metal does she like?" She asks finally.

"Rose gold." I say. "She loves it."

She googles rose gold engagement ring.

Three pop up. One is six thousand dollars with a square stone. I don't like it and Annalise doesn't either. The next one is three thousand, five hundred and seventy dollars and the stones are really small and it looks more yellow gold than rose gold. I wrinkle my nose at the same time as Annalise.