Chapter 5: Harassed

Hey guys, let me know who/what you want a photo of.

_____

The wind whistles outside, worry consuming my entire body.

"What if something happened? What if she's trapped somewhere? What if she's hurt?"

"Let's not worry until we have to." Josh says calmly.

Odeletta had to work today, but halfway through the day we were in a winter storm warning. We're supposed to get up to eight inches of snow over the next three days. Businesses were closed, people were sent home from work, appointments were cancelled, and the stores were ransacked.

Thankfully, my Mom, Adelaide, Rosalie, Aunt Clara, and Rebecca, who is Mason's Mom, hit the stores yesterday because they've were convinced the storm was coming.

Rebecca and Daniel are here now. They're Mason's parents. We got engaged three days ago.  Thanksgiving is next week and since I have the next three days off, I know I won't have to work until after Thanksgiving.

However, we all got home around one today.

Everyone is here. Every single person is here except for Odeletta.

The wind howls against the window to the living room. The snow is falling softly, but within the next hour, it's going to be snowing so bad we won't be able to see in front of us.

I called her office at one thirty when she didn't message me and they said they were sending everyone home.

Now it's five thirty and she's still not here.

"They said they were sending everyone home four hours ago." I argue with Josh. "Four hours! She hasn't called. Why hasn't she called?"

I'm so worried, so anxious.

I'm so scared.

Almost an hour later, the snow is so thick outside, it's hard to see.

I'm pacing now, and everyone is actually worried.

"I'm sure she's just caught up at work." Annalise says.

But her voice is shaking.

Aunt Rosalie pulls her daughter in for a hug, and I feel like I'm about to have a panic attack.

"Maybe I should go to her work." I say.

"No." Mom says.

"You will not be able to see." Adelaide says softly. "All we can do now is hope that she is safe."

_____

I sat at the window all night, hoping, praying she would show up.

But she never did. The snow built up on the deck outside, in the yard, filling the suddenly empty street of the city with piles and piles of snow.

No matter how tired I got, I'd close my eyes and I'd see her laying on the sidewalk frozen.

I didn't sleep. I couldn't.

The next morning, Adelaide practically forced me to go upstairs and put on more comfortable clothes.

But when I walked into our bedroom, I saw her everywhere.

Still, I put on gray sweatpants and a black University of Colorado sweatshirt. I put on black socks and went back downstairs and planted myself right at the window.

The snow is falling still, but very lightly. It's a break in the storm, and you can see outside.

The ground is covered in almost a full foot of snow. The hood of all the cars, everything is covered in snow.