Chapter 31: Chicago Ghetto

Cars are zipping past so close to Beast's front bumper and she's just sitting there, frozen. I remove my arm from her chest.

"Put on your seatbelt!" I shout at her. "Right now!"

She jumps at my voice and grabs the black strap, clipping it in place across her body.

The green light turns yellow, and then red, and a moment later, ours turns green.

She presses down on the gas lightly, crossing the intersection.

"Pull the car over." I order, leaving no room for argument.

She gets over in the right lane and pulls over.

"Get out." I say, unbuckling my seatbelt.

"No."

I swear, this girl is so aggravating.

"Odeletta, get out of the car."

She looks at me.

"No."

And then she pulls back onto the street, back into the left lane.

I'm so mad, I find myself wanting to grab the wheel. I want to shake the shit out of her and tell her to stop being a brat. I know without a shadow of a doubt I've reached my limit for her bullshit. I need to get out of this car before I say something really rude and hurtful.

So when she stops at the next red light, I unbuckle my seatbelt and get out of the car, slamming the door behind me.

"Nathan!" I hear her yell after rolling down the window.

I ignore her, shoving my hands deep in my pockets.

I slam my hand down on the button to cross the street.

When the light changes, I see her try to get over, probably to turn, but there's no space. The Mazda behind her honks violently and she shouts, "Real mature Nathan!"

I roll my eyes as she drives off.

Odeletta

"What if he does not come back?" I ask, glancing worriedly at the clock. It is well past midnight and he got out of the car around ten.

"He's coming back." Anna says.

"Don't give her reassurance." Gwen says.

"What?" Annalise asks.

"Don't reassure her." She scoffs at me. "You were such a brat tonight, Odeletta. You need to stop being so rude to him. You called him immature but you were the immature one. You owe him an apology."

"What?" I ask. "How? He's the one who-"

"Who threw his arm across your chest to keep you from going through the windshield? You would have died! He told you to put your seatbelt on, but you're too fucking stubborn! Stop being so dense and think for one second that maybe you were wrong!"

I press my lips together, letting out a small sigh.

Nathan

Around 12:30, I let myself into Gwen's house.

I don't think she would mind me just walking in seeing as I'm staying here for the night.

The moment the door shut, Odeletta walks into the foyer.

"Where have you been?" She demands.

I just shake my head.

"I'm going to bed."