Chapter 36: Settling

Comenzar desde el principio

She turns around and walks out.

She pulled the wife card.

Letting out a grunt, I start Lucia back up.

That woman is going to be the death of me, I swear.

_____

The twenty week appointment later that day went incredible. Odeletta doesn't want to do a gender reveal so she just told us the gender. We have the whole family on FaceTime and they're all waiting impatiently for us to tell them if the baby is a boy or a girl.

"Nathan, tell her to hurry up." Peyton pleads. I ignore my sister, relaxed as I scroll through my phone.

Odeletta walks into the room in leggings and a white tank top.

"Aww! Look at her bump you guys!" Aunt Clara exclaims.

Odette looks at me, and then at the screen.

"It's a boy and his name is Raylen Joseph-Ignance Reed."

Just like that they all start cheering, overjoyed to get a new baby in the family. She looks so exahusted.

The baby was up all night, kicking around and keeping her awake. I stand up and walk over to her.

"You should go get some rest." I say softly.

"I do not want to."

"Yes you do." I say when I see the look on her face. "What's the matter?"

"Let's talk about this later." She says quietly. She looks really upset. My eyebrows crease in worry. She turns around and walks out.

"Where is she going?" Adelaide asks over the phone. "We have a baby shower to plan!"

"She's tired today you guys. Can we plan tomorrow?" I ask.

"Of course." She nods.

"I'll text you guys the ultrasound." I say. They all nod and we get off the phone.

The second the phone silences, I walk upstairs, leaving Gwen and our excited roommates downstairs.

The upstairs to this house is narrow but the bedrooms are the largest. There's two rooms and a bathroom and each room is really narrow with slanted ceilings and you can only stand up without crouching in the center of the room.

Still, standing in the center of the room, I can raise my hand and touch the ceiling.

Odette is laying in the middle fo the bed staring at the ceiling.

I close the door quietly and walk over to the edge of the bed, leaning forward so i don't hit my head on the ceiling.

She looks at me for a moment and then rolls to her side, the left side, her back facing me.

I drop in bed next to her, pulling the covers over her body.

"You need to get some rest." I murmur, scooting under the covers.

"No." She sniffles.

"Are you crying?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Why?"

She doesn't respond, she just keeps herself away from me.

"Mon amour." I scoot closer to her, winding my arm around her to nestle between her breasts and her baby bump. Her body tenses slightly, and then she rolls over to face me, out faces inches apart. Her belly pokes my stomach and I reach out to brush some tears off her cheeks. "What's wrong darling?"