Attempt #1 - $100

United States, Illinois 2014 AD

Date: April 23, 2014

   *WARNING: MENTIONS/ACTIONS OF SUICIDE*

Amadeus sat in front of the television which had been previously beaten in an attempt to "make the voices go away" as she had continually stated to herself, as she endeavored to find an excuse as to why she broke her old TV. The shattered pieces had been placed on the equally damaged table that sat only five feet in front of her. She slowly moved forward, her black tank top conforming around her back, showing off her malnourished body. A knock resounded from her door, lazily turning her head, she stared at the chipped, off-white door.

"Deus," a soft voice could be heard from the other side, "Mom wants to talk to you."

Silence filled the air, as Amadeus had no intention or even the smallest urge to get up and see her mother, let alone talk to her.

"Amadeus," came the soft voice of her sister, again, "Please, mom really needs to talk to you, it's important," her sister practically pleaded her. Amadeus slowly got off her bed, her bones cracking loudly as she moved them for the first time in hours, maybe days, she wasn't really sure how long she had been sitting, laying, there. She slowly opened her creaky door, staring down at her short, dark-haired sister.

Without a word, she moved past her, closing her bedroom door. She walked down the dark hallway, her mother's door firmly planted in the middle of the wall at the end of the hall, a small stream of light making its way from the tiny spaces between the door and wall. She gradually opened the squeaky door, stepping inside. Her mother was sitting in the old rocking chair, covered in blankets, that sat a few feet from her bed, in front of the dirty window.

"Amadeus," her mothers raspy, sickening voice spoke into the silence, "Sit down." She pointed her bony finger at the chest sat against the wall, next to the same window she stared out of. Amadeus looked at her mother, passively, waiting for her to speak again. Her mother's tired eyes glanced at her sixteen-year-old daughter.

"My time is coming, daughter, I know that you have been plotting my demise for some time. BUT!" her mother suddenly screamed, making Amadeus' eyes widen slightly, "I HAVE TAKEN THAT FROM YOU! JUST LIKE YOU TOOK EVERYTHING FROM ME! HAHAHAHA! I AM GOING TO HAVE MY REVENGE!"

The older woman, keeled over, coughing loudly as she fell back in her seat, hard. Running footsteps could be heard, the door banging open, creating another dent in the beat up, dust lined wall.

"Mother!" exclaimed the short, soft-spoken girl, she fell to her knees by her mother's side, "Do you need anything?! Do you want some water?! Please, mother, tell me!"

The girl nervously stared at her frail mother, turning to look at her younger sister, "Amadeus, what did you do?" She rested her hand on her mother's arm and delicately rubbed her gaunt back.