Chapter 22: Darlin

Start from the beginning

I know from experience how dangerous winter nights are.

Back when I was a kid in the winter at night, I had proper warming supplies that I'd steal from Dick's Sporting Goods.

I was not a bad kid or anything, I just didn't have the money to get what I needed.

Gwen probably thinks I'm avoiding her.

Bitter, I stop walking, letting out a defeated sigh.

One thing I never leave the house without is a compass, just in case.

The air in the mountains is much cooler than in the city, and I feel dread when it starts snowing.

I stomp walking over to Lucia. I do her tickle and turn the choke, slamming my foot down on her starter.

Nothing.

"Come on, do not fail me now." I mumble, trying again.

Still nothing.

In the mountains at night is dangerous even for me.

There's mountain lions and other predators like coyotes and a ton of other mammals I'd rather not meet.

I'm thirsty, hungry, and exhausted.

Not to mention I can't stop shivering.

I try to power my phone on one more time before I sight in defeat, stopping next to Lucia.

I open up her pouch on the side and search her.

There's nothing in here except for my wallet. I drop my phone in there and sigh.

Shiver, my jacket doing nothing to warm me.

I look at the trees draping over the road.

I find some old moss hanging from a branch.

I drag Lucia closer and walk over to the tree.

I look at the large trunk and sigh, scaling the trunk easily, using the strength in my arms to climb up.

I stand in the center, looking at the branch that the moss is on. I knock on it, making sure it's not hollow.

When it sounds healthy and solid. I climb up onto it, pulling myself across it on my stomach. I grab the moss and stuff it into my coat.

The last thing I want is for it to get wet.

I hop out of the tree and walk over to another one.

I find two sturdy looking branches still attached to the tree and I grab them and yank, snapping them off.

I walk over to the edge of the road and kick the snow away from the dead grass with my combat boots.

When I've cleared an area, I rest the sticks on the ground and go gather up dead leaves and moss, scaling multiple trees.

I find the driest pieces of wood I can.

When I have a large supply, I put the moss on the ground and grab the sticks.

Bracing one with my left hand, I grip the other with my right and rub it quickly on the other one, my movements hard and quick.

After about thirty seconds, it catches, lightly the moss.

I blow on it, throwing some leaves and twigs into it until I have a warm glow in my face.

My stomach growls loudly and I sigh.

I wish I had a fucking cheeseburger right now.

Cheeseburger, an ice cold beer or a hot chocolate, and Nathan.