45- Family

It's the next day.

I've decided to go to the guild, because if I don't, I may just run away. I need to see the people that I'd be leaving, so that I can't leave. I need the feelings from last night to come back, and seeing Natsu is the only way I can think of.

"Hey, Lucy! Where'd you run off to yesterday?"

I didn't think about talking to him, though.

"I was- I"

My heartbeat increases, and sweat forms on my brow as Natsu stares at me.

"She was probably trying to get away from you."

I look over to see my savior, Gray, and I release a breath that I had been holding.

Natsu starts bickering with him, and Gray looks over and gives me a nod before returning to the fight with Natsu.

I smile back and mouth a thank you, before wandering off to see who else is around.

My eyes see Mira at the bar, and I go take a seat across from where she stands.

"Hi, Lucy. Do you want anything?"

"Actually, I'd just like to talk if you don't mind."

She smiles.

"Of course I don't. So, what's on your mind?"

I bite my lip, and look down at my hands, contemplating what actually is on my mind.

"What defines a family to you, Mira?"

She thinks a second before responding.

"Well, my family is Lisanna and Elfman."

My face falls at her response.

"But...everyone here at the guild is also my family. The people who care for you, and you know will always be there are your family, Lucy."

She looks me in the eyes.

"Family doesn't have to mean blood. It's anyone who's willing to be there. Everyone here in this guild is family. Which means this is your family too, Lucy."

"What do you think Natsu thinks of me?"

My eyes grow wide at my outburst of a question, and my cheeks grow red from embarrassment.

She just raises an eyebrow at me.

"Do you like him?"

"No, that's not what I meant. I just mean in general. What does he think of me?"

A thoughtful look appears on her face.

"I can't tell you what he thinks, but I can tell you what I've seen."

She puts her elbows on the bar and puts her head on the top of her hands.

"I'm not really sure why, but about eight months ago, Natsu kind of started...well, he started to kind of just look lost or moody sometimes. He was still himself of course, but there were always times, when he would just have a confused look, or he would suddenly just get in to a bad and quiet mood. It wasn't all the time of course, just every once in a while I'd see it. I don't think anyone else noticed, but I know I saw those looks sometimes."

She stops to give someone a drink, before returning.

"Anyway, when you came, he just kind of seemed in high spirits, I guess. And he doesn't randomly look lost or sad anymore. Almost as if you were the missing piece that he needed. It's as if you were what he needed, without you, or him,  even realizing it."

My eyes widen at her words. A smirk appears on her face.

"Seems to me like you guys have a true connection."

My face turns into an annoyed one.

"It's not like that!"

She just waves her hand at me and goes to drying off cups with a towel.

"Whatever, anyway, I'm sure he's happy that you're here. I'm also sure that he needs you."

A warmth spreads through me, and my eyes find themselves looking around the room for the subject of topic.

They stop at the pink haired boy, observing all the details. His expression is one I've seen many times, his eyes are set into a glare, his nose slightly crinkled in disgust, mouth set slightly into a frown. This is the face he always has when him and Gray butt heads.

I smile a small smile, before turning to Mira.

"I'm going to head home. I'll see you tomorrow."

"But it's still early."

I smile, a genuine smile.

"I know."

I wave my hand and make my way to the doors. My eyes close softly, and a soft smile appears on my face, and then I open my eyes and push open the doors.

That was all that I needed to keep me here.