44- For Him

I don't know how long I was outside. First running, then talking with Gray, and then crying, while getting the comfort that I didn't know that anyone could ever give me again.

He had walked me home, probably because he was afraid I would leave if he didn't.

I had thanked Gray for being there for me when he didn't have to, and of course, his response was all about family being there for each other.

And now, my hand rests on the handle of the door to my apartment, and all I feel is lost.

An hour ago, I was saying my last goodbye to this apartment, completely determined to never return. And yet here I am, prepared to enter once again.

No matter how much I want to leave, how much I desire to sprint out of here and to never return, I can't.

Natsu doesn't deserve to be abandoned like that.

He deserves everything that this pathetic world can offer him. I may not be able to give him much, but I'll stay by his side, I owe him that much.

I press down on the handle of the door, a quiet click sounding, and then a whiny creak as the door opens against the rusty hinges.

I stare into the room, leaving the light off and making my way straight towards the bed.

I lay down on my back, hands resting on my stomach, eyes staring at the ceiling.

I'll stay here for him.

"Thank you."

My eyes close softly at the sound of the voice in my head, and I conjure up the rest of the memory, his soft voice taking me to sleep.

"You risked your life for us..."

A soft smile on his face, his head resting lightly on the future me's forehead.

"for our future."

-----
Sorry it's such a short chapter, the next one should be up this weekend.