Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One
Pain Reliever

I couldn't stand it. Megan still paraded around the school asking for help to aid us, and it made me sick the way she acted. It was so like her to act as if she were sincere. At least I could vent to Ashley. Emily didn't want to hear it, she was too busy talking to her, even when I was dragged away.

"Ashley, it was her, I know it!" Groaning, I held my face in my hands trying to lower my voice so the teacher wouldn't hear us.

"Sarah," Ashley started, brushing back her hair as she spoke, "I would love to blame her for this, too, but how do you know?"

"She threatened, literally four days before. What am I supposed to think?"

"Sarah, no offense, but you guys have more haters than her. It could have been any one of them."

"None of them threatened us in person. I know it was Megan. I hate her."

Ashley stared at me for a moment, in confusion, "What's happened to you? You never said you hated anyone before." She muttered, her voice questioning as I simply shrugged.

"I've learned that being naive, doesn't save you. Emily and her family were nearly killed. It will not happen again."

"You're talking crazy, Sarah. You need to relax." Ashley said, soothingly before she turned back around in her seat to listen to the teacher.

I, however, refused to. I can't relax when so much had happened, so much I couldn't help to stop. Whatever. If Ashley and Sarah wouldn't stand by it, then I'll figure something out to get back at Megan. How would she feel if I let her feel half of what I felt? Ha! She would be crying to her daddy by the time I'm done with her.

After class, I was still trying to come up with a blueprint of a plan when Emily caught up with me, wrapping her arm around mine, kissing my cheek. Admittedly, I was a bit surprised, but I smiled regardless. She still could do that to me. Even through all the anger, she could make me smile.

"I'm sorry I didn't catch up with you before class." Emily apologized, snuggling close to me as we walked, her head on my shoulder as we walked to second period.

"It's okay, but what on Earth could you have to talk about to Megan anyway? She's a devil spawn. A pure, outright bitch."

Emily looked as if she were holding something back, I could tell through that forced chuckle she spat out, "Something really important. I'll tell you when we get home, okay. For your ears only." She whispered into my ear, nibbling on my earlobe as I giggled.

"You're lucky you're cute, Emily." I mumbled kissing her once more as we headed to class.

Eventually, the day had ended, proving uneventful, even though I had been tempted more than once to try and attack Megan from behind. Like she had done to us twice before. Once in school, another by the fire. Through my best efforts, I resisted fighting her.

Before I could drive to the apartment, Emily asked if we could stop by to her mother. Readily, I agreed. I'd be glad to see her. It had been such a tumultuous time since the fire, and Emily's mother had only gotten worse. Or so I heard. I couldn't imagine Emily losing her mother. It would destroy her.

Parking in the already packed hospital parking lot, Emily led me into the hospital, nearly dragging me along as we entered. I wasn't sure what had Emily so riled up but she was determined on getting me up to her mother. When we'd finally gotten to her mother, Emily headed to the door, leaving me by the bed.

"You need to talk to my mom and listen to her. Talk to her about anything. Then we'll talk." Emily stated, her mouth curving into a crooked smile as she left.