Chapter 17

Kyle POV

Weeks have passed since the incident and Lilia has been discharged. Her dad's trial was successful and he has been given twenty-five years of jail time, I wanted it to be longer but the judge already gave his verdict. Lilia is free from her dad's harm and is currently staying alone. Right now we are sitting in the living room arguing about Lilia's new decision.

"Kyle I have to work, if I don't who is gonna pay for my feeding and allowance?" Lilia complained.

She has been saying she wants to work but I can't allow it. I told her I will take care of her bills but she won't allow it, I don't know why she is so stubborn! She's not emotionally stable and ever since the incident I've been scared to let her out of my sight.

"Babe I will take care of it."

She shook her head. Damn, she's so stubborn!

"No Kyle, you can't. I want to work."

"Why can't I?"

"Because... Kyle look I can't have you paying my bills, it isn't right. I have to be able to fend for myself, you can't feed me forever." She finished, sighing.

"I'm not complaining, it's my money."

"Technically it's your dad's money so..."

I frowned. This girl sure knows how to make me give up.

"You are not working that's final!" I half yelled.

"Who are you? My dad?"

Mierda!

My voice lowered. "I can never be that fucker."

She sighed rubbing her fingers on her temple.

"Good so let me make my own decision." She smiled pecking me.

"Are you going to school tomorrow?" I asked.

She nodded against my chest.

"Yes. I have to, I've missed a lot."

"Are you sure?"

"Kyle please don't start." She sighed.

I chuckled. "Okay okay."

***

Lilia POV

I sat on the bed running my hands through my wild hair. I barely slept, my entire sleep plagued with nightmares. Nightmares of my dad hitting me, my mom's death, the fear I had then and now, it was like someone was out to get me.

The sun was rising, sending a small amount of light peeking through my curtains. The light bounced off the walls creating an iridescent glow of golds.

I closed my eyes and leaned against the headboard, enjoying the silence and peace the morning has to offer.

My thoughts drifted to the events happening for the past weeks, my dad in jail. How is he feeling? Is he remorse, filled with regret? How am I going to continue life without taking a dose of his hand or belt? I rubbed the tip of my fingers against my temple as if trying to clear my thoughts.

I got up and went in the shower spending longer than usual. I got out with a towel draped over my body.

I pulled out a pair of jeans, my green hoodie and my black converse with my hair in a ponytail. I walked over to the mirror, sighing heavily I took out a concealer and applied it under my eyes to conceal the heavy bags from lack of sleep.

I grabbed my not so red lipstick and applied some, sprayed some perfume before grabbing my books, bag and house keys making my way downstairs.

I walk into the kitchen to grab a bowl and cereal from the cupboard but stopped dead in my tracks seeing Amira by the sink.