Chapter Twenty-Seven: Nowhere Safe

Lizzie

The man grips my body tightly and I watch all of the men beat Carl. Blood drips from the open cut on my forehead from when the man punched me. I squirm and yell out for them to stop but the man holding me compresses my wrist and I cry out in pain. I see Carol pull out a gun and shoot one man that was beating Carl. Glenn swoops in and takes his gun and shoots the other man. Carol shoots the man holding me and then there are two left, Jered and the man holding my daughter. Carol aims the gun at him but I yell at her to stop. I walk over to him with tears in my eyes.

"Please, give me my daughter." I sob. The man smirks and looks at her.

"She's yours?" He asks. I nod my head to answer.

"That'll make it even better. I'll kill her in front of her mother." He says.

Then, a bullet hits him in the head and he drops. Bailey starts to cry and I grab her from his arms. I look at Carl and see him on the floor with Maggie. Another gun shot goes off and Rick falls to the ground. Jered gets shot and dies. Rick groans and I run over to him. Glenn, Daryl, and Beth are already at his aid so I go to Carl. I kneel down next to him with Bailey in my arms. He coughs and looks at me. He sits up and looks at his dad.

"What happened?" he asks.

"He got shot." I choke. Carl rushes up and runs to his dad, tripping a bit on the way. I can't stand to look. Rick is too beat up and now to add this to his list of injuries. It's time to face the facts. I can't even imagine Rick dying. My daughter growing up without a grandpa. Carl growing up without a dad or mom. I just can't.