Chapter 22

You know what's the best thing of having a good friend on a hot day? They bring ice cream to your date. And not any ice cream, no. Oreo ice cream, the best kind in the world. It's the best flavor, I swear. It combines my two favorite things, oreos and vanilla ice cream. Sorry, am I day dreaming about food again? Ah crap!

"So what do you think of Ashley and James' situation?" I ask Shawn, taking a spoonful of pure happiness.

He made a big deal out of looking at his spoon. "So?" He looked up from the ground with sad eyes. "I don't know what I think about them. Although I'll admit it's pretty weird seeing him so fallen for a girl. I've never seen him go crazy over someone, I can't decide whether it's scary or funny." We both laugh. "It's the truth! If you knew him, you'd understand what I mean."

I thought about it for a few seconds and smiled. "Jokes aside, I really want to get to know him better." The color on Shawn's face decided to go on a run that moment. I playfully hit his head. "Not like that dummy. I want to get to know all of your friends and the rest of people I don't know. It'd be fun, I think. I would be getting out of my comfort zone." Shawn laughed slightly. "I think you're forgetting that the last time you went out of your comfort zone you ended up in the police station, grounded and with a broken wrist."

I put my hand to my heart in fake pain. "You hurt me Mr. Becker. Not as much as I hurt my wrist, but close." Shawn rolled his eyes and handed me what was left of the ice cream, a clever way to make me shut up.

After we were done eating we walked around the park. We talked and laughed until when we both got a text. My mom had given me back my phone when I went out to eat with my friends and surprisingly I didn't have my face in it, enjoying every second of it until my mom took it away again.

The text message came from a group chat that included both of us, which was weird since we weren't in any group chats together.

What was even weirder was the other people in it. The Witches and the Idiots of Town High in one group chat, that was definitely bound to end up wrong.

Or so I thought. Instead a single message had arrived from Ashley. James and I talked. We're on good terms and together. Now please, stay out of it. Also, girls, say goodbye to your hair.

Shit.

"Looks like it turned out right after all." Shawn gave me a smile and reciprocated it with not so much enthusiasm.

I wish to say that my sudden lack of energy came from eating too much ice cream and my soon-to-be short hair, but no. It came from the fact that I was thinking of something I was too afraid to ask.

Shawn noticed my change of attitude and stopped walking. He looked down at me and frowned. "What's wrong Emma?" I led him to the nearest bench and looked down at my hands.

"I'm pregnant." Nah, I'm just kidding. I just wanted to make sure you were still paying attention.

Now back to the story.

I looked down at my hands and searched for the proper words to say what I was about to say next. Shawn picked up on my nervousness and lifted my chin to look at him. He gave me a small peck on the lips and said, "Whatever it is that you're thinking, you can tell me. Don't be so shy." I laughed and shook my head. "I think you're forgetting that one of the highlights of my personality is shyness."

He smiled and took my hand in his. He kissed my hand and held on to it. He was sure making this hard for me.

"What are we going to do when I leave?" I blurted. I can swear I could see his heart skip a beat, he was certainly not expecting this.