Chapter 19

Who ever thought that making a stubborn teenage girl forgive the guy she loves would be so hard?

Everyone, that's who. Everyone but me.

When Ashley had calmed down she arrived at Tami's house. She was very surprised to have found Shawn also hanging out with us.

"What's he doing here?" I rolled my eyes. "He's part of our group now. We all forgave him." Shawn started to stand up. "But if you want me to leave to feel more comfortable I can. Seriously, it's okay. This is your territory." She shook her head and sat down beside us. "No. No, it's okay. If they forgave you, I can too." I gave her a small nod and continued in my conversation with my friends.

When they were all silent I took the opportunity to speak. "Guys, I have a secret." They all looked at me with wide eyes. I looked over to Shawn, who was sitting right next to me, and he took my hand in order to give me encouragement. "I'm...moving."

Vincent shook his head. "No, no, no , no, no. What do you mean you're leaving? You can't leave us!" He came over and hugged me. He let go quickly and I wiped the small tear running down his cheek.

Before I knew it all of my friends were crying. Even Ashley who'd been mad at me for so long.

Michelle wiped the tears running down her face. "When are you leaving?"

At that point I couldn't speak. I was afraid that if I spoke I might drown in my own tears. Shawn decided to speak for me.

"She's leaving in seven months." And that was when Shawn too broke into tears.

By the time Tamara's mom arrived we were all a crying teenage mess. She looked at us as if we were all on drugs.

"Are you kids okay?" Tami laughed. I shook my head and stood up. I hugged my second mother and said, "I'm moving to Florida, Ms. Winchester. My mom got a job there." She hugged me tighter and didn't let go of me for a while. "Please, you've known me for so long, call me Carol."

The tears were coming stronger down my face. All the times I thought my friends were fake, all the times I thought I wasn't part of them and all the times I thought I'd lost them I never realized that they'd never left. Just when I thought I didn't have them anymore I realized how much they love me.

I've never been one to cry in public, much less in front of my friends. Yes, I cry a lot, but as I said before, my best friends and I weren't much for crying in each other's arms. Our arms were meant for stabbing, not hugging. But standing there, crying in the arms of all of them I saw everything that we missed. All the secrets we could've shared instead of gossip. The hugs we could've had instead of fights. We missed all of those things because we were so lost in ourselves and our needs when all we needed was a friend. I think maybe that's the reason we stood wrapped in each other's arms for so long. Maybe that's the main reason we were all hurting so much at the moment, we all realized what was going to be lost when I left and we were afraid.

We were all a mess when Vincent said, "You know what? Enough with the crying, let's go to the beach. No, you know what? Eff everything. Let's stay at the beach until tomorrow. What do you say? Are guys up for an adventure?"

My head was screaming for me to say no but I wanted to say yes. I'd always wanted to do something cool and dangerous like that, I just never had the courage. And because I was high... on adrenaline (I still don't know why, maybe being so close to my friends made me scared) I did the second dumbest thing I've done since I met Shawn. I agreed.

"So..." Shawn started. "I guess I'll leave you guys to it." He was about to stand up and leave when Kasey said, "No! Wait! You can come with us. As Emma said, we forgave you. You're one of us now, whether you like it or not." Shawn turned around and hugged her. I cleared my throat in response and he kissed my forehead.