Chapter 10

Just friends. Why did I say that? It's been the only thing on my mind since Saturday. Just friends. The worst part is, he agreed. He agreed to be nothing more, and as much as it made me happy to be friends with him I also wanted more. As if the thought of him wanting me and then agreeing to be just friends made want to be with him. I wanted to be with an impossible person.

*
On Monday morning I was nervous. Not just because it was my first school day being in an official friendship with Shawn, but because it was my first time seeing and talking to Tamara after our fight. And the first time seeing my friends after we ran away from the police and being judged by them for dancing with Shawn.

That morning Mom took me to school on her way to work. She was the school psychologist so it was no problem for her.

"So...are you and Shawn friends now?" she asked. Her voice had a little but clear sign of hope. As if I needed to be friends with Shawn.

I sighed and smiled a little. "Yes mom, Shawn and I are friends now." She smiled widely and patted my hand. "Very good. Now all that is left is to convince your friends that he is not as bad as he used to be." I looked out the window. I had completely forgotten about confronting my friends about being friends with one of their arch nemesis.

When we got to school my mom kissed me goodbye and went to her office. I waited in the parking lot for my friends but after ten minutes I got bored and decided to be early to my first class.

Just when I was turning around and leave I heard a voice calling me. I looked around to see who it was. It was my new friend, Shawn. I smiled.

"Ready for our first day as school friends?" he said while putting his arm around my shoulders. "You want the truth?" He nodded. "I'm not ready. I am literally freaking out right now. I feel like everyone will judge us, especially our friends." He leaned his head a little on mine. "Well, that's not their problem. It's our friendship, not theirs."

We walked together to our first class, which happened to be the same one. Art. His favorite class.

We sat next to each other and started talking and laughing as if we were lifelong friends. Mrs. Thomas looked surprised. Why? Because we were both early and together. Yes, even the teachers knew about our feud.

The bell rang and everyone entered the class. I could see people looking at us and whispering at the people beside them. I couldn't help feeling ashamed but for the sake of Shawn I tried not to show it.

When everyone calmed down Mrs Thomas spoke. "From today on we will be working on a new project. You'll have to work in partners or groups of three." Someone in the far corner of the class yelled "Threesome!" Everyone laughed. Mrs Thomas glared her eyes to whoever said that and continued. "As I was saying, you will work in groups and you will have to represent what freedom means to you. How will you do it? You will have to mix drawing and painting with collage making. Any questions?"

Everybody looked around to find someone to work with. Only one person raised their hand. Mary Whittaker, the captain of the cheer squad. "If it's what it means to us, than why make it in groups?" Mrs Thomas cleared her throat. She did that a lot. "Because the principle wanted me to teach you a more meaningful lesson in art class. When you do it, you'll realize what I mean. Oh! And this is due in two weeks. And you can start now."

I looked at Shawn. He didn't get it. "What?" he said. "Do you want to be my partner?" I said. He looked around the class. "Hmm... I'll consider it." I raised my eyebrow at him. He laughed. "Yeah I'll be your partner." I smiled.

We were discussing ideas for our collage when I saw Vincent and Josh Dolan (one of Shawn's friends) passing by my class, escorted by the principle, with bloody noses that were clearly there because of a fight. Vincent caught my eye. "What?" I mouthed. "Later" he mouthed. What happened that left my best friend with a bloody nose?