Chapter 3

What was Shawn doing at a hospital? More importantly, what was I doing staring at him? I just hope he didn't notice, because if he did, he'd most likely tell his friends, and that would get me in trouble with my friends. And I didn't exactly have enough confidence to tell my friends that I could talk and stare at whoever I want. Shy girl problems I suppose. Or is it confidence problems?

"Are you looking for something Emma? Near my face? If you want me, just tell me." I turned my head over to look at Shawn with a smirk planted on his face. "Very funny, I thought we were already past the trash talk phase." I said. He just nodded and laughed to himself. "I don't think we'll ever get past the trash talk phase unless we got new friends." I smiled and dramatically put my hand on my chest. "Aww, you've thought of changing your friend group because of me? That's so sweet, I'm flattered." He shook his head laughing silently. "What are you doing here anyway?" he asked. "Um" I swallowed. I wasn't used to talking to the enemy group or telling people about my friend's problems. "Tamara's mom, she had an overdoses. Don't tell anyone that I told you...please" He looked down and nodded.

"And what are you doing here, Mister Becker?" His jaw clinched at the mention of his last name. He's never really liked it much, so I've heard. "Well, Miss Reynolds, it just happens that today I am becoming an older brother, again." He smiled widely. "Congratulations then!"

At that moment Tamara appeared and I made sure to immediately stop eye contact with Shawn. I stood up and looked at my best friend. I hugged her. I could see Shawn staring at us from the corner of his eye. "How is she?" I asked. "She's been better. The doctors told me she'd be home by Monday, nothing to worry about." I smiled at her and we walked back to her car.

When we got to the car it was another silent ride to her house. "Do you want to sleep over? Since my mom is not here, I guess you could" said Tamara. I thought about it for a second. "Sure, I'll just text my dad."

As I was texting my dad, I went to the kitchen and made some popcorn. Tamara brought two movies down from the TV room. "Pitch Perfect 1 or 2?" she asked. "Hmm..." I thought. "The first one." We were ten minutes into the movie and very comfortable until a sound took us by surprise. Tamara grabbed her phone and read out loud. "'Beach party tonight at ten. Everyone is invited, even The Witches of Town High. -James' Oh he did not just call us that." I felt the anger rising inside me. No one had called us "The Witches" since the middle school play that left me and my friends so humiliated that we had to climb our way to popularity in high school. "You wanna go?" she asked. I nodded. "I'll text the others. Let's go get ready!" We stopped the movie and went up to Tamara's room to get ready.

"Should I wear shorts, skirt or dress?" I asked her. Tamara stuck her head out of her bathroom. "Mmm...I think a dress. Wear the sleeveless white one. With my black sandals." I looked inside her closet until I found the dress she was talking about. I put the dress on and looked at myself in the mirror. "Isn't it too short? Maybe I should use one of your gymnastics shorts under it." Tamara scoffed. "Come on! We're in California! And besides, it's not that short. No one will see your underwear unless you decide to pull the dress up." I rolled my eyes and went to the bathroom to help Tamara straighten her hair. She already had on what she would wear to the party. She wore a black tank top and black shorts with matching black sandals.

It was ten thirty when we got to the party on Vincent's pickup truck. When we arrived, the beach was full of people dancing and singing horribly. Vincent parked his car close to the entrance. We all went inside and said our names to the guard. He had to check a really long list until he finally let us in. "Jeez" said Michelle "And I thought that our parties were wild." "Same" said John.

" "Same" said John