Chapter 6

I tried to remember what her father had done. It had been such a long time since she told me the story that I'd almost forgotten. But from what I remember her dad left when she was in 6th grade. He apparently said he was going on a job interview and never came back. I guess he did come back after all. He just never said hi.

I tried to comfort my best friend as best as I could. It had been a long time since we were this close. To be honest, my closest friend was Vincent. And we weren't even that close. We just shared a few inside jokes. Most of us, we weren't the best friends in the world. We'd had our backstabbing experiences with each other. But we were all we had so we stuck together. Through good and bad.

"Maybe he isn't so bad? Maybe he'll even come to live at The Town so you won't have to move." I said with a slight smile. She removed her arms from around me and looked me dead in the eye. "That's the thing, Emma." she said "He hasn't changed. Not even a bit. He came back to The Town so he could try and take custody of me. Now that there's the issue with my mom...I have no choice. The foster care system crap will make me go live with him. He doesn't even care about me. He just wants this house and everything my grandparents left me. Besides, he's married now. He even had a kid. He was born before he left." I wiped a tear from my cheek. I wanted to help her but I couldn't. "I'm sorry Tami. I don't know what to say." She moved away from me and said "Of course you don't. Little Miss Perfect doesn't have problems so she doesn't know how to help. Just leave Emma. Honestly, I'm better off alone." Those words stung like a bee. I guess her title of Queen Bee can become a little literal sometimes.

I grabbed all my things and left her house. I didn't want to walk home so I texted my friends and asked for a ride. I got almost the same reply from all of them. "Can't. Sorry." "Too busy, in a few hours?" "Grounded. Sorry. Maybe Uber?" I decided it was better to walk home, even if it was a little far by foot.

I heard the sound of a car honking. Aw crap. Am I crossing the street with my phone in my face again? "Hey Reynolds! Need a ride?" I looked to my left to see who was talking. "Why do you always show up when I'm alone?" He smiled. "How do you know that it's just when you're alone? Nope, that's creepy. That went out really wrong." I laughed. "Can you give me a ride, Creep?" He opened the shotgun seat door. "Come on in." I got inside his car. It was as messy as his hair. "Nice car." He glared at me and said, "Nice PJ's." I smiled. "Thank you. I like them a lot actually."

We rode in silence for a few minutes. "Are you going to your house?" He asked. We lived across the street. "Yup." I wanted to bring our Snapchat conversation up. I wanted to know if he really wanted me or if it was just a joke to mess with me. My curiosity was killing me.

"So I suppose you aren't going to tell me why you were standing outside your best friend's house at ten in the morning with your pajamas on." I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "You supposed correctly." He rolled his eyes at me. "Okay fine. We got in a fight. That's all." He looked at me as if he were thinking about a lot of things. "Is Miss Perfect's life not so perfect now?" I usually got mad when people called me that, but coming from him made me even madder. "Don't call me that. Or would you like it if I texted everyone in school about your dirty little secret?" His eyes widened as soon as I said that. "Please Emma, don't. What happened in that party, stays at that party." I smiled in response. I already had power over him and I didn't even know what happened.

We got to my house and he offered to help me with my things. I heard glass shattering in my house. "No, it's okay Shawn, really. You don't have to-- okay." He was already opening my front door when he heard the yelling. He tried to close the door but my mom saw him and immediately spoke. "Shawn! How are you? It's been a while. Would you like to come in?" Shawn smiled politely and said quickly. "I'm doing well Mrs. R, thank you. And it's okay, my parents are waiting for me at home. But it was nice talking to you!" He smiled again and went out the door. My parents didn't really acknowledge me. They just waved and then signaled upstairs. I saw a broken vase on the floor and understood. They were in an argument, which meant I had to leave. I went to my room to get a towel and went to go take a shower.

Before I got to the bathroom my phone lit up again. Another Snapchat notification, probably. I got out of the shower and saw what it was. Shawn Becker has added you as a friend! Again?

I changed his name to only Shawn. His full name was overwhelming. Shawn is typing... I grabbed my phone and speaker and put some music on. Right when I was about to get inside the shower again I received a message from Shawn. I guess Miss Perfect's life isn't so perfect. I sighed and got in the shower.

Hey
-Emma I typed after I got out of the shower. I didn't even remember that I had his number, but I needed to know what he meant by "I do want you, Emma. That's the thing." It was driving me crazy. What kind of person says that, blocks you and then givs you a ride to your house? Buzzz. (Ignore my fail way of telling you that my phone was vibrating because of a new text.) Hey Baby Witch! Why are you texting me? Won't you get in trouble or something? Of course I'd get in trouble. I typed a quick response. We need to talk. And from there our conversation went like this:
Shawn: About what?
Me: Snapchat.
Shawn: What about Snapchat? That you're addicted to it?
Me: No. And how do you know that?
Shawn: You take a lot of selfies. So, about what?
Me: About what you told me when we were talking.
Shawn: When exactly? I don't recall us talking.
Me: Don't play dumb. You know what I mean.
Shawn: Okay, you're right. So what specific thing do we need to talk about?
Me: I asked you...well, doesn't matter what I asked. But you said that you did want me.
Shawn: Hmmm...I did say that, didn't I?
Me: Yeah, no shit.
Shawn: Jeez, calm down Emma. You should really stop cussing so much.
Me: Can we not get out of our conversation? Please?
Shawn: Okay okay. Do you think that we'd get killed if we met up and talked?
Me: Probably.
Shawn: Okay. Do you wanna meet up and talk?

What is the worst mistake you've ever made? That's the question that I know my future children will ask me. And unfortunately my answer will be this:

 And unfortunately my answer will be this: