01

I woke up back in my satin sheet'd bed. My head was driving and there was ringing in my ears.

I reached my hand out to the other side, ready for the warmth of Kali's body. But nothing but cold sheets. My eyes widened at the loss of familiar contact.

I looked over to the side of her bed. A small piece of paper with a cigarette butt shriveled, and stained with her familiar shade of red lip stick.

I unfolded the frail piece of paper and read the contents.

Liam,

I need to leave. I can't keep coming home to you drunk, and then you leave. I need someone that will always be there, not drinking away their life.

So, I think I need to get away for awhile. Away from you. I don't want to be treated poorly, and almost.. beaten. You have changed my life, for the worst. You're drinking has changed you. Changed me.

This may be goodbye forever,

Kali.

The words on the paper burned. They burned my eyes, causing tears. I sat on the bed, sulking in the silence of the large home.

I'm alone, and lost. I close my eyes and throw my head back. What's next? Kali was the only one I had. The only one that cared to stay. I was the one pushing everyone out, and she was the one that stayed. What the hell is wrong with me?

I swallowed the lump in my throat and made my way for the underwear drawer. I push my boxers out of the way to grab the one thing I need. The one thing I gave up when I found Kali, now she's gone, and I'm back to square one. I quickly grab a slender cigarette, and the red lighter next to it.

I made my way out of the house, with the cigarette between my lips, and the lighter in my hand. The door creaked open, and I made my way to the smokey ally I was in during my drunken state.

I finally lit the cigarette, and inhaled the bitter nicotine. The smoke I exhale stings my eyes, a recognizable feeling takes over my lungs.

I hear a cough erupting in the dark ally. I see familiar strands of dark long hair flowing over the familiar dark jacket.

"Morana?" I question, stepping closer to her, my shoes cracking the fragile pebbles under my feet. She slowly turns her head to me, same cracked, dry lips, same smoke emitting cigarette, and same bloodshot brown eyes.

"How do you know who I am?" She questions, her voice slow.

"From the other day?" I step a bit closer, causing her to straighten her posture. She nods in recollection.

I take another breathe from my slowly burning cigarette, and she does the same. A clap of thunder booms in the sky, and seconds later a flash of bright lightening cracks above us. A single raindrop falls on my shoulder.

I look over at her, she looks lost, and not bothered by the storm that is about to suffocate us in rain and light.

"Do you want to come in? While the storm passes?" I question, my words coming out faster than I can process them. She looks up, and takes another inhale on her cigarette.

"I shouldn't." She almost snaps.

"You sure? It looks pretty bad." I say. My words calm and slow. She looks up at the darkening sky and sighs.

"Only until the storm passes." She drops her cigarette and steps on it, the red burning glow dying.

"Oh, and by the way, I'm Liam." I inform her as we begin to walk around the brick siding. She smiles, her eyes looking down.

"Hello, Liam."