Chapter 20: The Empath

"Empath is me, I am Empath."

~《 ♤ 》~

"Christy, can you tell the locations of the other members?"

"Let's see.... First, you're guarding the Library," she started after the request, "Yao Jia and Risqhi will guard [Y/N] and Cindy in the Teacher's Room in the 3rd floor, Professor Frederick is confronting Chris with Kevin in the hallway of the 3rd floor, Professor Nathaniel is heading to the rooftop, Nara is joining Professor Kenneth in the Main Gate, Professor Falhan is guarding the second floor, and Sir Caron is around the Main Field."

"Caron too?!" I could hear Kenneth yelling through the in-ear, "The healer cannot get hurt! Stay with [Y/N] and Cindy!"

"No, I think it's fine. Caron isn't weak, is he?" I pointed out my opinion. Through humming, I could hear Caron agreeing followed by Kenneth letting out a "tch" and said, "I don't want to go home bloody just because you were hurt too."

"So, Carrick, any reports from the Library?" Nathaniel asked, changing the topic and I looked around my surroundings. "Or perhaps, you plan on going on your own?"

"No, everything seems safe. No enemies detected. What makes you think that, by the way?" I chuckled.

"Professor Frederick is still confronting with Professor Chris without using physical moves, and that's kind of suspicious. He turned off his in-ear so no infos regarding his situation. Can you run to him without your gloves?" Christy informed, she was basically saying her brother's thoughts.

Without my gloves, I repeated in my head while taking a look at the black gloves I've always been wearing, so it's the time?

"I'll be there."

When I was in the hallway near the stairs, I could saw two familiar men standing feets to each other. I stopped running when I tapped Frederick's shoulder from behind, softly muttering his name. He turned his head and looked at me, Chris stayed quiet and gave me a cold look.

"Frederick," I called him again, louder this time that Chris could hear, "What were you two talking about?"

I took the question as an excuse to grab his hand and I raised his sleeves to his elbow, showing enough of his pale skin for the use of my ability. I did it wordlessly, he didn't flinch a little bit, while Chris took some steps to the front, smirking with his hands in his pocket when my expression started to change to a sad one. What is this that Frederick is feeling? Why the miss, the pain, the anger, the nostalgia, and the disappointment?

Is this possibly fear of hurting?

My face started to get red out of so much feelings I got from him that I could cry from not knowing what to feel because it was a mix of opposite feelingsㅡ miss and anger. Pain and disappointment. At the same time, nostalgia. What is this relation-

"The Empath!" Chris suddenly raised his voice and I took my hands off Frederick's, covering my face with my hands for a second to fix my expression. I looked at him full of caution. Frederick though, stayed quiet like a statue while looking down. Why was he like this?

Chris reached his hand to hold mine out of the blue but I didn't protest, I let his feelings flow into mine as I my eyes widen at the-

"You're feeling what I'm feeling now," He smirked. "A mix of anger, revenge, and hatred, am I right? At the same time, pride."