Dat Awkward Moment When Someone Catches You Making An Earthquake

They sat in the room in silence. Peter was currently called in for his turn, the first part of stage two, first of the transfers. Most of the Dauntless initiates had gone already, leaving only the transfers.

"What'd'you think's going to happen?" Thalia muttered to Reyna. She shrugged.

"It's mental-based," said Annabeth. "So I think I'm prepared."

"No one can prepare for stage two," said Uriah, a dauntless initiate. "At least that's what I'm told."

Slowly, one by one, everyone was called in until the only people left were, by chance, the demigods.

Then the door opened. "Percy," called Four.

Percy stood up, walking calmly to the room. A black eye patch was strung over his eye, giving him a dangerous look.

The room wasn't any warmer than the waiting room, Percy realized sullenly. Then he stopped and stared at what was inside. A dentist's chair? Where were the weapons?

Riptide seemed to throb in his pocket.

"Sit," said Four.

Percy sat.

"This is a simulation," said Four. "Ever heard the term 'face your fears'? Well, we're taking that literally.

Percy swallowed thickly. "Ah, okay."

Four held up a syringe with a massive needle. "Hold still."

Percy tried to relax as he felt the needle go in.

"The serum starts in sixty seconds," commanded Four. "You stay in the simulation until you calm down."

Of course, that was Percy's cue to start panicking.

"The first time is always the hardest," Four said quietly, then the room dissolved.

He was standing in a familiar acidic environment. A blood sky shed an ominous light down on him. At his feet were mounds of bones.

Bile rose in his throat. He could feel a familiar presence standing back-to-back with him. Annabeth.

The silence was unnerving. Percy tried not to think about whose bones he was standing on. There were no noises, no fire crackled, no underworld-river water sloshed, even though he could see it swirling around him like he was on an island.

Then he could hear the crunch of something heavy on the bones. Percy tried to turn; he couldn't; he was paralyzed on the spot...

Annabeth screamed, and Percy felt the brush of her clothing as she was lifted into the air by a-- something.

Wrenching free of the paralyzation that held him rooted, Percy whirled around, Riptide ready in his hands. In front of him loomed a whirling darkness, like Nyx but worse, swirling like a tornado. He couldn't pin the monster-- it wasn't Tartarus, nor Gaea, nor Nyx, but rather all of the monsters he had ever fought combined. Somehow, the shapeless form looked like none of the monsters and yet all of them at the same time.

Trapped in a semi-translucent sphere of swirling shadows in front of the Darkness was Sally Jackson, Annabeth, and Paul. Sally's face was terror stricken as she clawed at the walls of the sphere. Paul had never looked worse, as if he had been possessed; he was bleeding madly everywhere. Annabeth had her knife out and was slashing around her, some invisible foe striking in every direction.

"Let them go," Percy tried to yell, but his voice was only a croak. The Darkness did not stop, and in its midst Percy could see every friend, every camper that he had ever let down. Everyone he had let die.

Riptide shook in Percy's hand and as he raised it to strike, it crumbled in his hands into dust. He was weaponless.

Screaming in rage, Percy raised his hands. Around him, the waters of the underworld rose up in a hurricane, not a drop touching him. Thrusting his hands out, the water rushed forward at his command, engulfing the Darkness.

Percy was screaming in rage. The black waters of the Styx, the milky white of the Lethe, the fire of the Phlegethon, the deep despair of the Cocytus and the Acheron, they all attacked the Darkness, burning into it until it was nothing but a smoky black cloud that was blown away in the windless skies.

Then it all vanished, like it was an image Percy could just blink away.

Four was on his feet. Around him, the serums were on the floor, other loose items scattered around, and a new crack had made its way diagonally from one end of the room to the other.

Percy swallowed, his pulse slowing. He wasn't in Tartarus. Annabeth, Sally, and Paul were okay.

Four reached forward as if to grab Percy's arm and yank him up, then recoiled as if he thought the better of it. "Who are you?" He asked in a low voice.

"Whaaaaat?" Percy asked, smiling innocently. Four leaned forward until he was staring at Percy in the eye, his hands on the arm rests.

"Who are you?" Four demanded. "You're not an Abnegation. I've never seen you before. Who is Annabeth? And I'm guessing Reyna, Nico, and Thalia too?"

Percy was silent. "You can't know," he said finally.

Four jabbed his finger at Percy's chest. "I just went into your mind, Percy. In your fears, you don't have magic powers. You are who you are. Now tell me. Who are you?"

Percy sighed in mock defeat. "Fine. My name's Percy. What's yours?"

Four's eyes narrowed dangerously. "I don't have time for this," he hissed. "You just caused an earthquake. There are cameras everywhere. If they see the footage, then you're going to be put under a truth serum. You don't want that, trust me."

"Then go," Percy shooed him away. "Clear things up. I'm not going anywhere."

Four hesitated, then a muscle twitched in his jaw and he turned on his heel and stalked out the room.

Yes, yes, it's been a LOOONG time again... I totally got caught up in other stuff and forgot about this book... also Hunger Games is on temporary hold and I might be missing When Myths Meet Magic update because I will be away for the weekend and idk if there's reception so...