A New Prophecy

"With wisdom and loyalty, five shall arise. A broken world they will surprise.
A trio of forces, two boys and three girls, no clear group as the journey unfurls.
Dauntless they are and dauntless they shall be, should they break the bonds of unity."

Rachel looked up from the hastily scribbled scroll, her green eyes darting around at the faces of the demigods. The fire crackled an intense shade of purple, illuminating the the half-bloods with an ominous gloom.

"I'm just quoting the prophecy," she said nervously.

"How does it feel hearing it for once, Rachel?" Travis called out from the Hermes section. Scattered laughter rippled throughout the amphitheater.

"Dear gods, not another one," Percy groaned. Next to him, Nico and Jason nodded.

"Wisdom and loyalty, though?" Jason said in a louder voice. "Gee, I wonder who those'll be." His tone made it clear he had an idea of who they were.

"So we'll figure out the others later. But what about the whole dauntless thing?" Rachel asked. In the back, Ella hovered nervously around Rachel, a toasted marshmallow sticky in her claws.

"Dauntless... adjective... page 341... Burned, all burned. Dauntless, they are."

Annabeth stood up. "Well, dauntless means brave. So it's saying, 'Brave they are, and brave they shall be.' But it also says 'Breaking the bonds of unity'. Is it implying that they're united and we need to end that?"

"It's possible," said Malcom. "Like if they're all following one corrupt leader blindly, they might need help with breaking off and forming a new independent society."

"Prophecies are unclear, though," A Hephaestus camper said. "Double meanings and all that centaur poop."

Chiron cleared his throat loudly.

"Yeah, like to Storm or Fire the world shall fall," Piper supplied. "We all thought Jason or Leo were going to destroy the world, but turns out, it was Gaea who would fall."

"We'll figure it out as we go along," Percy suggested. "Winging it, like always. Isn't that the basis of quests, pretty much?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "This is why you needed me on your first three quests," she said. "Because you never have a plan."

"Well, I don't have a plan for life, and I'm still here today," Percy said, grinning.

"Back to the quest," Chiron reminded them. "Wisdom and loyalty —"

"— are obviously Percy and Annabeth," Katie from the Demeter cabin said, grinning. "I mean, how could it not be? It's so obvious."

There were murmurs of agreement.

"What about the others, though?" Leo asked. "I mean, I love quests and all that, but I seriously hope that the other three aren't me, Jason, and Piper."

"It says a trio of forces," Annabeth said, her eyebrows furrowing. "But... I can only think of the Greeks and the Romans."

"What about the hunters?" Will Solace suggested. "I mean, they're kind of like their own little group... right?"

"That's true," Malcolm mused. "It's like that one other prophecy, with the hunters and campers combined."

"So then, that's a third member. I assume we agree Thalia is best for this role," Rachel said. "But what about the others? We need a boy and a girl still."

"We need to have a Roman for the third group," Nico said. "I suggest Reyna. She's pretty quest-ready."

"And the fifth member?" Chiron grimaced. "Even though the traditional is three," he added under his breath.

"What about Nico?" Annabeth suggested, giving a sideways glance at the son of Hades. "I'd say you work well with the group we have so far."

Nico shrugged somewhat reluctantly. "If you insist."

"Any objections?" Chiron asked. It was silent. Chiron thumped his hooves against the wooden platform. "It has been decided," he thundered. "We will contact Thalia and Reyna tomorrow morning."

++++

"You won't need anything, just change into these," Chiron said as they all gathered in the Big House, two days after the prophecy was announced. Thalia was there, relieved of her duties temporarily, and Hazel was helping Frank out in place of Reyna. "They were supplied by Aphrodite, and you'll need them to fit in." He gestured to a rack of clothing. "You'll all be in the same faction to begin with, so they're all the same."

Percy looked at the clothing. They were all simple gray clothing, all the same shade, no patterns or anything. There were the same shirt for every outfit, but half of them had long skirts and the other half simple gray slacks. The male clothing also had a suit-like jacket over the shirt, in gray like the rest of them. He grimaced but took a set in his size.

Chiron waited patiently as they all changed. "Go to Olympus next," he said. "They will send you there."

The clothes were comfortable but restricted Percy somewhat as he tested out some moves with Riptide in the elevator ride up to Olympus. "Maybe it is the bonds of unity," He said. "Like they're all united in one common outfit and we need to break it."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "You think like an Aphrodite boy." she said, as they approached the throne room.

The massive doors opened before they could knock. Even if the circumstances were slightly negative, Reyna couldn't deny that the gods were dominating and influencing presences. Except most of them were snoozing in their thrones.

"You're here," Athena announced as they entered, making Zeus' head snap off his palm where it was resting.

"Ah yes, let's see now..." Zeus blinked away his sleepiness and straightened his shoulders. "You have received a new prophecy, as I understand it. But the circumstances are... different from normal quests. This one takes place in the future. It's something of a dystopian society. Now. Aphrodite, if you would."

Aphrodite snapped her fingers crisply, her expression as if she were in pain. A ripple in the air flowed outward, like the Mist, but rose pink. It washed over the demigods, and Annabeth felt like she was crawling through that mucus curtain again. She shook it off and glanced around. Their hair was all different, though why it needed to be changed was beyond her. The girls had their hair tucked into the same kind of bun, while the boys had short and neat hair, like Jason's style when he first arrived at Camp Half Blood. Percy looked completely absurd with a close-cropped hair style, Annabeth decided.

"I have to say, though," Aphrodite wrinkled her nose. "Gray is just so boring, you know? Personally, I would choose Erudite. Or maybe Amity. At least they have color."

"Aphrodite," Athena warned, and Aphrodite pursed her lips tightly together.

"Now, pay attention," Zeus said. That was when Percy zoned out.

Annabeth squeezed Percy's hand tightly a few minutes later. "Pay attention, Seaweed Brain!" She whispered.

"Why would I need to when I know you know all the answers?" Percy whispered back, completely poker-faced. Annabeth stole a glance his way, but he didn't move.

"Get ready," Zeus warned. Before Percy could ask what they were getting ready for, the demigods dissolved into a golden light and were whisked away by a sudden breeze.