When In Doubt... Just Try Not To Die

Percy felt the river before he heard it. His stomach dropped as he sensed each wave splashing against the jagged rocks mercilessly.

Eric stopped the group by the railing, his cold eyes staring Christina down.

"Climb over it."

"What?" Christna's wide eyes and ashen face were completely filled with panic.

"Climb over the railing," Eric repeated again. "If you can hang over the edge for five minutes, I will forget your cowardice. But if you don't, you will not continue initiation."

"If she can't, she'll be dead!" Thalia spat at  Eric.

He raised an eyebrow. "Would you like to join her?"

Thalia shook her head in disgust.

For the first minute and a half, Christina was fine. Nico eyed the water below her anxiously, but the highest it threatened to spray up to was below her ankles. She was okay, for now.

The fates decided they were being too nice. Or maybe they heard Nico. But a massive wave of water struck off the rocks closest to Christina, and flew up into the air, drenching her. With a cry, Christina's fingers began to slip, slowly, until she was just on by her fingertips.

"Percy!" Thalia nudged Percy's arm. "You can't... dry her off, can you?"

But Annabeth shook her head. "She's already slipping," she said in a low voice. "Drying her off would do no good."

"At least make sure no more waves come splashing like that other one," Reyna said. Percy nodded in understanding and his eyes narrowed momentarily as the river calmed slightly, but everyone's eyes were fixed on Christina.

"Come on, Christina," Al encouraged. Christina's eyes were wide with panic as she tried to maintain a grip, but Annabeth could see her fingers shaking. It was too much for her.

"You got it," Tris whispered. Then she cleared her throat. "One minute left."

"C'mon," Thalia bit her lip in anxiety. "Almost there."

Then Christina slipped as both hands were pulled away from the railing. Nico let out a yell, but Christina didn't fall completely as her hands scrambled for any purchase, finding it on the supporting bars of the railing. Her arms shook.

"Five minutes are up," Al spat at Eric. Eric lazily looked at Al, then tilted his head as he examined his watch.

Hurry the hell up! Annabeth wanted to yell. But she knew in doing so Eric would just make Christina wait longer.

"Alright," Eric relented. "You can come up, Christina."

Al walked immediately to the railing, his eyes large in fright.

"No," Eric said. "She has to do it on her own."

"No she doesn't," Al growled. "She did what you said. She's not a coward."

Eric didn't respond, so Al reached over and grasped Christina's wrist. He was tall enough to do so without worrying of tipping over. Reyna hurried over to help him, while Tris grabbed Christina from below the railing. They pulled her up, and she collapsed on the metal railing. Her face was still bloodsmeared from the fight, and now it was slick with river water and sweat. She lifted her eyes up to everyone else, quivering in exhaustion, and caught her breath for the first time since the fight with Molly.

++++

"This is insane," Reyna bursted angrily as soon as they were in the dorm. "Making someone hang over a river because they didn't want to get beaten to death?"

"It's the Dauntless way," Thalia said in an excellent imitation of Eric. She rolled her eyes and did a belly flop on her rickety metal bed frame, turning over so her face could see them. "And apparently, so is partnering up people with the most unfair partners ever. I mean, Molly versus Christina?" she shook her head in disgust.

"I hope Christina gets an easier opponent tomorrow," Annabeth said in concen. "I mean, they have to let her go easy."

Nico snorted. "You think that'll happen?"

"Not really," Annabeth admitted. "I guess we'll just see, won't we?"

++++

"Huh." Thalia tilted her head as she studied the board, her eyes squinted. "Liwl. Will. Will could be... easier, I guess?"

"Maybe," Percy said, but Annabeth was staring at the board, her face ashen.

"What the frick were they thinking?" she hissed. "Tris against Peter?"

"You've gotta be kidding me," Tris muttered. Her face was whiter than Annabeth's. "They want me to fight... To fight that?

"Maybe you can take a few hits and pretend to co unconscious," Nico suggested. Then he caught sight of Tris' angry expression. "Sorry," he added hastily. "We all believe in you."

"Don't lie," Tris chastised, but her expression cleared a little. "You're right. I have no chance."

"Go offense," Annabeth suggested, her eyes narrowed as she studied Peter. "He doesn't have many weak spots, but don't retreat. That'll just give him options. You're faster than him, so try to dodge. Go for agility. Attack."

Tris shouldn't have attacked. She went up and aimed a kick at his side, but Peter caught her leg and yanked it upwards, sending her sprawling. She scrambled back to her feet, just in time for Peter to ram her face with his fist.

Nico spouted a series of rapid words in Italian, his hands wringing as he watched Peter attack. A kick to the stomach, a punch to the nose, a shove to the floor. Another punch to the side, then to the ear. Then a kick to the side again and again and again.

"ENOUGH!" A voice roared from the side. Four walked in the room with two nurses after him, his face red with fury. "She's unconscious, has been for a minute. Let her be."

Peter retreated, a cold, hard amusement in his eyes. His lips pulled back in a predatory smile.

Reyna watched through eyes that showed the barest hint of fury in them. But inside, she was raging as wildly as the waters of the chasm.

They had the nerve to keep going. Will and Christina's fight lasted a lot longer, but it finally ended with a good solid smack to the jaw. To solid. Christina jerked to the side, falling to the ground. Drew, surprisingly, beat Al, then it was Percy's turn.

"Molly," he snarled under her breath. Molly was cracking her knuckles with a sinister smile on her face as she looked down at Percy from the ring.

"Kill her for us," Thalia said encouragingly and clapped him on the back.

Percy stood in front of Molly, muscles tensed but seemingly relaxed. His demeanor must've thrown Molly off because she lunged suddenly, aiming for his knees. Percy sidestepped easily, his eyes taunting her.

"That all you got, Tractor?"

Molly glowered and swung a punch at his head, surprisingly fast. Percy ducked under it, still not attacking. Then Molly feinted to the left and tried to do a kick to the right, and that was when Percy went offense. He did the maneuver Peter executed on Tris, grabbing her ankle and yanking it up. Except Percy flipped Molly over and, while she was down, kicked her in the ribs. He felt a crack and winced.

Molly growled like some feral animal and scrambled back to her feet, just in time for Percy to aim a solid punch to her ear. She was thrown sideways with the impact, but stayed barely conscious. Eric watched, since Four was helping Tris at the hospital, and Percy knew that Molly couldn't just be semiconscious. So as Molly struggled back up again, Percy bonked her on the head with his fist like a whack-a-mole. Molly crumpled to the ground faster than Percy thought possible.

Eric said nothing, just circled Percy's name on the board. Percy turned and glanced across the room, where he knew his next opponent would be. Peter stared right back, his pitiless eyes unwavering.

Sorry guys I will probably update this in short bursts because I don't own the book, I get it from my school library and it's currently checked out