A Train Ride to Hell

Previously:

Tris leaned against the wall. "So you really aren't normal people."

"Nope," said Percy, popping the P.

"Are you—" the word fell silently off her lips. Four shot her a warning look, and Tris pressed her lips together. "Never mind. Proceed."

"No," warned Four. "Not now. I have no doubt that a hallway in the middle of the compound is the last thing security is watching, but there's always that chance. I'm telling you, the Chasm is the only place without any cameras. The Chasm or the train."

"Who drives the train?" Thalia asked suddenly.

"I don't think that's the most important thing to be considering right now," said Tris crossly.

"You have a day off tomorrow," said Four sharply. "If you need an excuse for Christina and Will, come up with one. Train passes at 6:25 A.M."

++++

They slipped from the dormitories without trouble.

There was no training that day, so everyone slept in, leaving the path up to the roof bare. No one spoke as they stood on the gravel, waiting for the familiar rumble that announced the train.

The demigods glanced at each other, silently communicating. Tris shifted on the balls of her feet but her expression was stoic, undoubtedly trying to be as cold as she could be. Though why, none of them had any idea. Intimidation? Guilt?

The train made its appearance with its usual threatening shake of the tracks. Still quiet, they leapt on and pulled themselves in.

Tris raised her eyebrows at them before crossing her arms. "So?" she demanded. "Tell me. How much have you lied?"

They stared back at her with just as much stoniness.

"How much do you know?" Reyna asked.

"I've never seen you before in my life even though you're from Abnegation," Tris began. "You knew what a hamburger was." Thalia shot Percy another look. "You all are fluent in that — that language. You're all abnormally good in the simulations. You kept talking about gods and demigods yesterday. And you've got some sort of power over the Chasm."

"Just Percy," said Annabeth.

"Show me."

Everyone looked at Percy again, who shifted uncomfortably. "Maybe later," he said. "When we're actually by the Chasm."

"I'm guessing school never taught you about the Greeks, if you've never heard of Greek before?" Reyna said.

Tris shook her head.

"Do you guys have religions, then?" Annabeth said.

"My family is religious," said Tris. "Not everyone though."

"Huh. Is anyone here a part of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?" Percy asked.

Annabeth elbowed him. "Not now."

Percy put his hands up in defense. "I was just wondering."

Tris's lips twitched like she wanted to laugh but quickly regained control.

"So, explain."

They looked at each other as if mentally competing in a round of rock-paper-scissors. Finally, Reyna began, "we're not like everyone else."

Tris raised an eyebrow. "— No way," she said sarcastically.

"If you're going to be difficult," Nico began irritatedly, but Annabeth stopped him.