Day 53

She woke with a start in the middle of the night. She sighed when she looked at the clock. 7:59. She got up out of bed and made her way downstairs, and pulled out the ingredients for pancakes. Just as she finished them, Andrew ran down the stairs and out the door, carrying something. Something big. She turned the stove off and stared at the door with her eyebrow furrowed until she gasped. Luke.

She ran out the door, and looked at the car. Andrew was setting Luke down in the backseat as Liz rushed out of the door.

"Honey, you need clothes!" She exclaimed, and Blaze nodded, running through the house into Luke's room. She grabbed a red flannel off of the desk chair and pulled it on over her black tank top. She pulled on her shorts and grabbed her phone before flying down the stairs and jumping into the backseat, and Luke set his head in her lap.

"Blaze." He groaned, and ran her hands through his sweaty hair. She shushed him.

"I'm right here, babe." She said, looking him in the eyes. She pulled her hair into a ponytail and slipped on her black Vans. Minutes later, they had put him on a gurney and wheeled him inside. Blaze and his parents moved to the waiting room. They seemed to sit in there for the longest time until a doctor finally came out.

"Mr. and Mrs. Hemmings? And a Blaze, I believe?" The three stood up as the doctor moved to them. "He's okay, for now. Though he will be passing very soon." He turned to Blaze. "You can go see him, if you want. Room 48." He said, and she rushed down the hall, bursting into the room. He was so focused on whatever he was writing, he didn't even notice her.

"Hey." She said, and he finally looked up from the paper and grinned at her.

"Hey, babe. What's up?" He asked, and she chuckled.

"What's up with me? You're the one in the hospital." He laughed. "What are you writing?" She asked, sitting on the side of his bed. He shielded the paper from her view with a smirk.

"You're not allowed to read it yet." He said, and she giggled.

"Are you writing me a letter?" She asked and he shrugged, but the small smile on his face gave him away. "Aw, you are! That's adorable. You're such a nerd." She kissed his forehead and he chuckled. "Do you want me to call the boys?" He nodded. She started to leave the room, but he stopped her.

"Blaze." He said, and she turned around. "C'mere." He said, and she obliged. He placed a swift peck on her lips and nodded. "Okay, now you can go." She laughed.

"Really, Hemmings?" She added his nickname from what seemed like years before.

"Hey, I don't know how many more times I'm going to be able to do that. Better get as much as I can." She snickered and walked out of the room.

That was the day Luke Hemmings went to the hospital for the last time.