Welcome to the Family (ch 17)

Start from the beginning

“Go change already.” He sighs dejectedly. Where's the fight? The witty comebacks? Why did a party pooper replace the...

I turn my back to Jesse and walk inside the bathroom, locking the door behind me. What happened with James? I swear I saw him then, I couldn’t have imagined it. I’m not that crazy.

“Hey, are you done in there? I asked you to show me the clothes, not get ready for prom.”

I quickly change into another shirt and walk out. I spin around once and then just stand there, waiting for Jesse to give me the signal. How long does it take to look at a shirt?

“Here, I saw you looking at this in the store and I grabbed it for you.” He says, handing me the leather jacket.

I look at him surprised. “Thanks.”

I walk to the bathroom with the jacket, but Jesse grabs my wrist. “Just get ready; we’re going out sweetheart, your first mission.” My heart skips a beat.

I nod my head once, determined not to let my nervousness crack through my fearless mask. What will I be doing? Will I have to kill another person? I know I’m not a little whiney and defenceless baby, but killing somebody is a big deal. It's... Life.

Why am I even acting like this? I thought I told myself that when I killed Henry, I wouldn’t have feelings anymore. Feelings would be meaningless things of life that I threw out the window like it was dirty water.

They scattered into the air that I breathe the second that bullet went through skin.

I walk back into the bathroom, hopefully for the last time and change into a shirt and jeans. After grabbing all the stolen clothes and putting them into the bag, I walk out of Jesse’s room, still holding onto the leather jacket safely in my hands.

I expect Jesse to follow me, but he doesn’t. The only thing he does is tell me to meet him in the hallway after I’m ready. I walk into my room and I throw the clothes onto the closet floor, slipping on the leather jacket.

I find my phone lying on the desk and pick it up on my way out, checking the time as I open the door; 8:20. Wasn’t it just light out? I turn my head back and look around the room, my eyes meeting the windows searching for light, but all they see is dark.

I walk out of the room and shut the door behind me. My head turns left and right seaching for the blond hair that I have gotten used to. When I don’t see him, I let myself fall to the ground in a sitting position, throwing my head in my hands. Wow.

Jesse comes out of his room a few minutes later, putting out his hand for me to grab. My fingers latch onto his and he lifts me up from my sitting position. We walk together in silence, casually sending each other glances, looking to see if one of us wasn’t following the other.

I move my hair so that it’s covering my face, but it hardly helps my attempt at hiding myself. I soon remember the hair cut I got today.

That lady is on my list... I hope she doesn’t think she can get away with cutting away my only beautiful asset. I don’t care if the cut isn’t so bad, she cut off my hair and for that, my hair is out for revenge.

As Jesse and I get closer to the doors, my tracker bracelet starts glowing. I look down at it confused. Why is it glowing? Is it tracking alien ships?

Jesse seems to notice the glow because he turns to me and grabs my wrist. He eyes widen as if remembering something.

“Where is that key?” He mumbles to himself.

I look back at him feeling myself grow more and more nervous by the second.