chapter eighteen!

𝖉𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖗𝖊, 𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

*    *    *

*    *    *

(  𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖑𝖔𝖔𝖐𝖊𝖉  )

Later that night, Scott and Stiles made their way over to Derek's loft to warn him off the true identity of the Darach. Scott and Stiles stepped out of the elevator alcove. Jennifer backed away, nervous. "They told you it was me? That I'm the one taking people?"

"You're the one killing people!" Scott challenged as Stiles stood silently.

"Oh, that's right. Committing human sacrifices. Cutting their throats? I probably do it during my lunch hour. That way I can get back to teaching high school English the rest of the day. That makes perfect sense." Jennifer nodded along sarcastically.

Stiles looked up, eyes shining with unshed tears, voice cracking. "Where's my Dad?"

"How would I know? Derek, tell me you don't believe this." Jennifer scoffed.

Derek kept a steely face, "Do you know what happened to Stiles's father?"

"No. I have no idea." She lied.

Scott glared at the woman. "Ask her why she almost killed Lydia and hurt Elle when she got in the way."

Jennifer scoffed. "Lydia Martin? I don't know anything about that. And what possible reason could I have to harm Elle Nightly?"

"What do you know?" Derek wasn't buying the bullshit.

"I know these two boys, for whatever misguided reason, are filling your head with an absurd story. One they can't prove, by the way."

Scott smirked, "What if we could?"

Jennifer notices an open vial held in his hands. Inside are the ground and crushed remains of green and brown leaves. "What is that?"

"Mistletoe. My boss told me it's a poison and a cure. Which means you can use it, but it can also be used against you." With a flick of his arm, the powder flies out of the vial, pluming into a cloud of dust. Jennifer raises her hands, but in the cloud, her face changes to the Darach, slashed and shrieking in anger.

Derek flinched back as if he'd been hit. Dust settling around her, Jennifer looked up with a mixture of rage and fear. She started to back away, moving for an escape. But Derek came at her. "No, Derek wait-" His right hand wrapped around her throat, left opening with claws unsheathed. "Wait, just wait- you need me."

"What are you?" He growled dangerously.

"The only person who can save your sister." He blinked, a moment of hesitation. Scott and Stiles watched Jennifer struggle to breathe, eyes had locked on Derek's. "Call Peter. Call him."