Chapter 2

"How far is it?" Marius asked in French as they stood outside the dealership, a map spread out over one of their newly purchased van's hoods. It was uncomfortably hot at present as Lyn gently tried to soothe her fussy baby sister. They were in South America now, in the Brazilian town of Aragaina.

"Five-hour drive... at least," Geoffrey replied. Lyndis glanced over at him with a frown. They had been traveling for four days; she looked over toward the younger ones who sat in the shade nearby. All of them looked exhausted.

"Dad... maybe we should get a hotel, get some rest and let them stretch their legs," Lyndis said.

"No... I want to get there before nightfall. And I don't want to risk staying here." Geoffrey replied. Lyn knew 'risk' meant he didn't want to give the local pack time to notice them. After what happened in Russia... Lyndis doubted he'd ever leave them anywhere again to go visit packs to ensure they had permission to stay for a few days before moving on.

Lyn sighed and circled around the van, where Marion sat feeding Andre on the seat beside the open sliding door. They had been traveling non-stop, and they hadn't had a chance to get the babies any decent food other than small snacks. The babies had all been cranky and hungry; milk wasn't filling enough at their age.

Andre had fallen asleep. Lyn gently traded with her, handing over the squirmy baby and taking the sleeping one from her. Marion said nothing and went about numbly performing her motherly duties.

Lyn studied her; her emotional state just seemed to be getting worse. She glanced over where her thirteen-year-old brother, Mathieu, stood leaning against the van holding Sophia. Mathieu was avoiding eye contact with her, but at the look on his face, Lyn knew he was worried about their mother too.

"Everyone in the vans. We're leaving. Now." Geoffrey said firmly. Lyn sighed a bit as everyone got up to obey.

_

Lyndis sat with the younger children in the idling van. It was well past midnight, and most of them were asleep at awkward angles in their seats. Lyn felt anxious; she couldn't help it. It had been over two hours since Geoffrey, Christophe and Marius had gone off to see the Alpha. They hadn't heard anything...

Her paternal great-grandmother's sister was given to the Alpha of this pack many many years ago. Although distant, this was the first pack they had even a remote semblance of family ties to. Geoffrey hoped to negotiate a short length of stay with the pack and Lyn knew that any kind of stable living arrangement, even for just a few months, would mean the world to them in their current emotional states.

Lyn glanced over to the tree line just off the road. Julian and Marion were talking in hushed tones. She couldn't hear what they were saying, but she was glad her mother was at least talking. Julian was her mother's litter mate, and he seemed to have the most luck in getting her to respond.

Lyn glanced off toward the other end of the road, where Aldrick and all the older males were standing. Everyone was on edge; this was unfamiliar territory. Lyn laid her head back into the passenger seat and shut her eyes. She was exhausted, but she knew full well she wouldn't be able to sleep.

Suddenly, she heard a phone go off. Lyn opened her eyes and looked forward through the windshield. Aldrick answered his phone, and Lyndis watched him for a moment. He didn't speak, only listened. He snapped the phone shut after a few seconds and turned back to everyone.

"Let's go. It's clear." Aldrick said.

_

"What beautiful daughters you have." Carina, the Alpha female of the Lua Crianca pack, spoke in a warm manner to Marion. Carina was slightly older, in her mid 50's at least. She was speaking English with a slight Portuguese accent. It was the only language they both understood.