31. The Queen

Jasper

I sat stunned and watched arms Ruby left the garden. She had kissed me and I had just sat there, I had wanted it for so long but when she kissed me i hadn't made a move.

What's wrong with me? Why had she even kissed me, did she really like me?

What the hell had just happened!?

Ruby

I sat alone in my bedroom and repeated to myself how stupid I was. What had I been thinking? Well the answer was simple, I hadn't thought at all.

Groaning I slumped back in my bed. It would be so embarrassing to look him in the eyes ever again, I would face him tomorrow at the training.

I had said I would give him extra lessons and then we would be alone! Did he even want to ever see me again? He probably thought I was a maniac or something.

Sighing I tried to come up with something I could do to distract myself. Then I remembered the note the regular guard had given me when I danced.

The note from the king, I didn't want to read it but I couldn't avoid it forever and it was better than to think anymore about Jasper and my stupidity.

I straightened out the crumpled paper and read the text written with beautiful yet fearsome and strict handwriting.

Dear, Ruby Lowell Captain of The Royal Guard.

I have heard you need my help again with an old problem and of course I want to help you but I think we should figure out what needs to be done first so we handle this situation right from the beginning.

I'm talking to King Garnet in his rooms tonight and as he is involved in your problem maybe you could pay us a visit before I retreat to my rooms for the night?

Your Royal Highness, King Philip of The Magic Kingdom.

My hands closed around the paper as I once again crumpled it in my hands and stared down at my feet.

Tonight, he wanted to meet me tonight. Though it sounded more like a question in the letter I knew I didn't have a coiche but to be there.

Would Mahogany or Carnelian be there? Probably not, but what about Queen Diamond? Would his wife be there?

Staring up at the ceiling I let my thoughts wander, the ball wouldn't end in hours so I had much time to drown in my swirling thoughts.

Hurrying down the corridor I try to not look stressed or like a complete maniac.

I had fallen asleep in my rooms and woken up just to realize the ball had already ended. Hopefully I wouldn't be to late.

Outside the king's rooms I find the guards already waiting for me and I nod at them as they open the doors.

It only gets more embarrassing as I enter the rooms and see the two king and the queen waiting for me, thankfully no sign of my stupid half-brother or awful stephmother.

When the doors closes behind me it sounds awfully loud to my ears and I feel like I'm being trapped inside the room.

Dad sits comfortably in his favorite chair in front of the fireplace. King Philips sits beside him in all his glory with the black hair neatly combed back.

His dark eyes bore into my sole as he turned his gaze to me and I looked away to be caught in the Queens curious eyes instead.

Her face was in a cold mask of indifference but her eyes told me she was curious with me and wasn't the cold person she was married to.

"Ah, Captain Lowell. I'm glad you could make it, we began to fear you had given into nightly adventures instead" he said smiling and gestured to the wide red sofa Diamond sat in.

"Well, who could blame you? It certainly would be more exiting than this meeting" he said and I swallowed hard.

He came here to help me, and maybe it wasn't because of his hearts good will but he still helped me and I just wasted his time by my late arriving.

Deciding not to answer that question I quietly walked over and claimed the seat beside the Queen. It was deathly quiet in the room

she's purebred from the Kingdom of Emotions and she had the power to manipulate feelings. If she wanted to she could tug at my aura and make me feel fear or comfortable in a situation I weren't.

Queen Diamond originally came from the Kingdom of Emotions so she had the style and appearance that was typical for them.

Her face was soft and she had almond shaped eyes that turned down at the outer sides giving her a look of thin straight eyes. Her nose was small and round and she clearly was beautiful in her natural state without needing anything.

Her thin mouth seemed to be accustomed to be tilting upwards so I guessed she smiled a lot and her dark shiny straight hair reached to her hips.

Her long dress was wavy and richly decorated with gold and patterns of animals and flowers.

She smiled at me and it was impossible to not smile back so I felt my lips tug upwards, I didn't Karlee if it was under her powers influence or if it was just her personal aura.

I bowed my head slightly to show respect to her, after all she didn't knew I were a princess, as royal. Though she still had more power than me as she were queen.

"A pleasure to meet you, your highness" I said and the same genuine smile spread on her lips.

"No, it's a pleasure to meet you, Captain" she said her voice slightly mixed between the accent common for the Kingdom of Magic and the Kingdom of Emotions.

She felt like my type of person, the person that had a good hears but his it to the world that wanted it gone.

She was a good person, I could feel it and I knew it wasn't under her manipulating powers influence.