46. The Throne Room

Jasper

I laid in bed, painfully awake and stared up into the ceiling. Her bed, her ceiling.

My mind swirled with thoughts and I glanced to my side, at Ruby as she slept peacefully. Her chest slowly rising and falling as she breathed.

Some hours ago she had been scared, sad and in panic. I had used my hypnosis on her to calm her down and then I had spontaneously kissed her.

The memory replayed in my mind. She had taken control and we had kissed deeper, somehow we ended up in bed and when we separated for air she had moved away from under me and instantly feel asleep snuggled up to my side.

She had probably been exhausted from everything that had happened this morning and was out like a light as soon as things calmed down.

As soon as I had forgiven her and she wasn't desperately begging for my forgiveness. Why did she care about me so much?

Staring at her sleeping form I admired her face. Beautiful, the most beautiful creature I had ever seen.

I flushed embarrassed when I realized that I was in her bed right now, with her sleeping at my side.

We had made out before she fell asleep. Never in my life had I ever thought that this would happen.

I had always thought about my future in the woods with Kaden and Sheila as only company as I had fled from home and an arranged loveless marriage my dad had diceded for me.

Now all I was wishing for was to see Ruby in my future, I wanted her. I had never thought like this before. That future had always been impossible for me.

No girl would have wanted to marry me, a shy unsocial boy that preferred animals company rather than humans. Always embarrassing himself and never knew the social codes, what you could say and do.

Could Ruby even see herself in a life with me or did she only like to play with me? Maybe it only was my imagination?

She was moving at every sound but never really waking up, she hadn't made a sound and if it wasn't for her chest moving I would have thought she was dead.

The little wolf I had given to her laid at the foot off the bed, it had been still all the time but suddenly it's ears twitched.

As I looked back to Ruby she opened her eyes and we stared at each other for some time. She didn't say anything instead she laid there, listening at something I didn't hear.

Did she have super hearing? Did she really have improved senses like a wolf even in her human form?

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and stared at the doors. Just as I was about to turn and look the same way the doors slammed open and people rushed in, shouting things to each other.

What the hell is happening?

The puppy began barking like crazy and jumped off the bed onto the floor and growled threateningly at the intruders, they didn't pay any attention to it and instead walked over to us in the bed.

I dared a glance at the Captain, she seemed to be just as confused as I was.

Footsteps thundered in the corridors as a dozen guards hurriedly escorted me and Ruby to wherever they were taking us

Except that everythinf was eerily quiet, it was like no one dared to speak. Afraid of what might follow.

Before in the Captains room the soilder that had been in charge of this...whatever it was had stepped forward and told us to follow them.

Stone faced, not even raising their eyebrows when they found me in her bed. Ruby had of course stood up immediately and I had quickly followed her.

When we had left the room with the whining animal inside the Captain had switched the confused face to a grim expression and it scared me even more.

She knew what was happening and she accepted it, knowing she had done something wrong.

The question was what. It must've looked so wrong to others eyes, finding me in her bed. Well, wasn't it really? Hadn't we been doing what everyone probably assumed us to do?

It probably was against the competitions rules that a competitor was tighter with one of the judges, they probably thought I was using her to cheat or something.

Finally we arrived at what seemed to be our destination. The soldier in charge stopped in front of two enormous doors that I knew led into the throne room. A room we hadn't been in before, Ruby had showed it to me briefly at the castle tour.

What would we meet at the other side of the door?

Suddenly I felt very nervous, worse than usual actually. I hated that I didn't know what was going on, I really didn't want to embarrass myself any more than I already was.

Ruby

Catashtrophy.

Chaos, I can't make out my thoughts. My stomach is churning and I feel like I will throw up at any second but I try to hold it in, knowing that Jasper is panicking.

His beautiful hazel eyes is open in fear and I don't want to scare him any further by showing him how frightened I really am.

The doors to the throne room is opened and the soldiers leads us in, I don't really know what is going on but I might have a good guess.

Everyone in the castle is already gathered in the room leaving the middle of the room, right in front of the three thrones open.

Somehow I just know this is where it all ends, everyone will know my secret now. There's no turning back.

At the throne sits the king, my father. His face is a mask but I know him and I can notice the small things that show me what he really thinks.

I can see his worry and despair. He doesn't want this but he has no other choice and he knows that.

Mahogany sits in her throne beside my father, looking incredibly satisfied. Of course she would, this is when she can finally have her way.

She will get me out of her way, out of her life. Fear suddenly strikes my heart, what about father? What will happen to us?

If what I think will happens really happen we won't be able to see each other again, will we ever get the chance to talk properly to each other again?

No, I can't. I can't loose him to. I have already lost mother if I loose him I won't have anyone left. Feeling tears form in my eyes I fight them back, don't show them how broken them are. Don't let them win.

Carnelian sits at his own throne, beside Mahogany. Also wearing a deeply satisfied expression.

The soldiers takes us to the middle of the floor and just before they are about to force me into kneeling position I do it myself. I'm the Royal Guards Captain, I will be loyal to the king till the end.

That was my promise when I took my title, well I was the Royal Guards Captain. Will they take that from me too?

Probably, well I didn't mind. I would gladly sacrifice that so I wouldn't lose my father but that won't work.

I hear Jasper kneeling behind me, how I wish he hadn't been dragged into this to. Now he will get accused along with me for something he isn't even responsible of. Or maybe I was lucky enough and they would only accuse me of helping him cheat in the competition?

Of course I don't have that luck, when everyones hushed whispers finally quiets down and all soldiers and Jasper is kneeling I swallow hard.

The king stands from his throne wearing a mask of indifference. However I can see his pain and desperation.

I'm sorry father.