Nodding grimly he continued: "Indeed, he is very strong and very cunning. He used poison to weaken me. I don't like to retreat, but he left me no other option. That's why I am not taking this incoming war lightly and neither should you. Zhe Yan, I know you have no interest in war talk but Donghua, you need to tell your spies to be extremely alert. We will need all the information we can get to stay one or more steps ahead of the Yellow King. My disciples have commenced training exercises and I know Ye Hua is getting the Celestial army in shape, yet I know we are still at a disadvantage. Getting the Purple and Blue Demon Lords on our side will be a big help."

"He used poison? You recovered? Should I check on you?" Zhe Yan looked at him with great concern. "You look very well, Mo Yuan, much better than I have seen you in a very long time."

Mo Yuan shrugged. "The effects did not last long, maybe because my wounds were relatively light?"

The two guests nodded. Even though the seriousness of the situation had fully dawned on them, Zhe Yan smiled and poured the other two new cups of peach wine. "Enough with the morbid talk! Mo Yuan let's toast to you and Shao Wan today. By the way, where's the blushing bride?"

Dijun snorted.

"Let one of your boys get her, she's missing out on some of my finest brew. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when she hears we didn't inform her."

***

Mo Yuan couldn't keep his eyes off Shao Wan as he watched her trade barbs and insults with Zhe Yan. She had come in quite dishevelled from training with the Princesses and yet to him, she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Upon noticing his guests, she had given a shout of joy and immediately sat down beside Zhe Yan who kept plying her with wine. He ...

It didn't matter. She would soon leave. He had to get used to it.

"So, how is that little fox of yours?" Shao Wan asked Zhe Yan. "I have yet to meet him, but truly, the Fox King gave birth to very accomplished children and grandchildren."

"He has gone on a tour of his kingdom," Zhe Yan replied darkly.

Donghua smirked and said with one raised eyebrow: "What he means is they have had a tiff and Bai Zhen has gone off in a huff. It happens about every full moon. How long has he been off this time?"

Zhe Yan said with a scowl: "It's been about two weeks and it's no tiff, the boy is just too sensitive and hardheaded."

At that, Dijun nodded emphatically.

"I will have to go look for him soon. It is too lonely without him," Zhe Yan sighed. "I believe you have met his fifth sister Bai Qian, Shao Wan, have you not? Mo Yuan's most beloved disciple before his twin brother snatched her away?"

Shao Wan nodded and pressed her lips together.

"All the fox children are unique, independent, obnoxious and lovable. I am looking forward to you getting to know them better. I know you will be great friends."

Shao Wan swallowed hard, but nodded again before she continued: "How is Bai Zhi? And what does he think about you sharing a bed with one of his children? Did you not once pursue the now Fox Queen?"

"Ah," Zhe Yan laughed, "there are not many things that can shake us Old ones, but love certainly can. The happiness of one's children and friends is what counts at the end. Bai Zhi is well, he is travelling the realms with his lovely wife, knowing the Fox kingdoms are in capable hands. He, too, will be overjoyed to see you again, Little Sister. We all mourned your demise."

Shao Wan nodded again and looked over to Mo Yuan. He quickly averted his eyes. He would have to make an effort to rejoin the conversation rather than stare at her like a fool.