Chapter 39

written by MiniOrchid
consulting by Juls
edited by kakashi and Chimera

Today was like any other day at Kunlun: peaceful and quiet. In fact, the atmosphere here hadn't changed at all since their arrival. The disciples had their morning chores to complete and went about their tasks cheerfully and with diligence before attending lessons in the afternoon. Yan Zhi had asked if they needed any help, but unfortunately, they had declined her offer. She was their guest here, and propriety did not allow guests to assist the host during their stay. As a result, Yan Zhi was growing increasingly impatient with the lack of activity. She was not the type to laze around for long without occupation. Ghost Tribe members had missions, practiced their martial arts, or enhanced their dark magic to gain cultivation. Even while hiding in the mortal realm, she had worked at restaurants or opened her own dining facilities. Yan Zhi had always been someone who had a purpose, but now she felt like an unmanned ship floating aimlessly, without sail or wind for guidance.

It had been a few weeks now since their arrival on the Mountain and the disciples had taken it upon themselves to watch and entertain their "little dove". Even though Yan Zhi missed spending time with her, she didn't want to hurt Qiao Er's feelings by holding her back from adventures or by keeping her from spending time with her many shifus. Qiao Er had taken a special liking to 4th disciple, whom she followed around like a baby duckling with an abacus in her hand. They had bonded quickly and Qiao Er took his lessons very seriously. In the process of finding such a warm welcome, the girl's nightmares had ceased. It brought great comfort to Yan Zhi to know her daughter had finally found peace at Kunlun. However, she also knew they only had a limited amount of time remaining here. What would follow filled her with slight dread.

With a heavy sigh, Yan Zhi decided to take a stroll to a forest path on the west side of Kunlun Mountain to enjoy the serenity of the greenery and the waterfalls. The forest here was bright and lively, very unlike those in the Ghost Realms. There, the forests were thick with dark vegetation and the light from the sun never quite reached the forest floor. But when night fell, the twilight gave way to the most wonderful luminescent flowers and bugs that glowed within the dark passage, guiding lost souls to their designated paths. She missed her home, a place she hadn't returned to for hundreds of years. As things were, she wondered if she could ever return.

As Yan Zhi pondered with an ache in her heart, she suddenly became aware of a commotion ahead of her. It sounded like a battle, but she could hear two women's voices. That was very unusual here, so she started running towards the noise. What she found was shocking.

A tall unknown woman just ripped away the chain whip from the Demon Princess Li Ying - the momentum strong enough to pull the princess forward, and her throat landed in the hard grip of this vicious woman.

"This is all you got? Fight me!" the woman squeezed harder, choking the princess who was turning very red in the face.

"Li Ying!" Yan Zhi threw a dagger at the woman, but she turned and caught the weapon in mid-air, effortlessly. Still, it gave Yan Zhi the opportunity to jump in and pull Li Ying away from her attacker.

"Who is this?" the woman sneered at them.

"Stay away from her!" Yan Zhi shouted, shielding Li Ying with her body.

The mystery woman narrowed her eyes. Yan Zhi realized she was fighting with suppressed powers, but she was still very strong.

"Aaahhh, you must be that Ghost Princess, the one the injured disciple pines for."

"What do you want with Li Ying?" Yan Zhi asked, ignoring her taunt.

She gave them a laugh. "Little fool! You dare question me, the Demon Ancestor?"