Chapter 82

"Will you stay with me tonight, Aria?"

He asks this question so quietly I barely catch it.

"Why do you even bother asking?" I ask dryly as I take a large bite of my burger

"Is that a no?" He asks, feigning innocence as I glower at him.

God, he can be so annoying.

He holds his hands up in mock defense, and I'm pleased to know that he's just as susceptible to my death glare as everyone else I've met. We're enveloped in silence as we both start eating, and I'm thankful for it because it gives me some time to think about what to expect at this event tonight. I make a mental note not to leave Benjamin's side at all, because I know that if I do, I'll immediately have a nervous breakdown.

I watch, impressed, as Benjamin devours his meal in mere minutes, whilst I find myself struggling to finish half of my burger. That, however, doesn't stop me from stealing fries from Benjamin's plate and scoffing them down before he can say anything. The same thing happens each time I do it; he looks up and stares menacingly at me, silently daring me to do it again... and I do every time, but I'd never admit that it's just so I can see those large, gorgeous green eyes flicker up to look at me.

"I want to ask you a question, but I'm afraid you'll get upset if I do."

I take a long sip of my diet coke, analyzing his words and facial expression carefully.

"Mm. Well, if you offer to buy me a car or a private jet or basically anything of that manner I might actually have to kill you. But other than that...I'm an open book."

He smiles down at his plate, and I can't figure out the reason behind this because I did just threaten to murder him. Then his hands suddenly lunge out to grasp mine, one of them clasping my fingers whilst the other slowly strokes a pattern over my knuckles. This action worries me slightly- isn't this what people do when they have like really, really bad news?

"How many men have you slept with?"

I pause halfway through chewing my fry to stare at him in disbelief.

Did he seriously just ask me that?

He's still watching me, clearly trying to gauge my reaction, but I don't really have one, at least, not on my face.

"May I ask why you want to know that?"

He blinks rapidly, his face blank, and I can tell he really wasn't prepared for follow up questions.

"Well, I just...."

I pull my hand from his grasp so I can fold them both in my lap, looking at him with curiosity as I wait for him to elaborate.

"You completely and utterly beguile me, Aria. One second you seem completely inexperienced in this area, and I think I have you figured out, but then, the next...you do something that just...drives me up the wall- and maybe you don't realize you're doing it. It just comes naturally to you; you captivate me without even trying...what- what I'm trying to say is, you confuse me. And I'd like to know what I'm up against; ergo, your experience."

My cheeks are scarlet as he finally glances up from the ground to meet my eyes. I can tell he's waiting impatiently for an answer as he's biting his bottom lip.

"Benjamin..." I mutter, but am suddenly cut off when his hand springs out to grab my wrist, causing me to instantly release my straw which I was just swirling around my glass.

"See- things like that."

He gestures to the glass I was just fiddling with.

"-drive me absolutely wild. Give me some sort of insight. I need it."