Chapter 109

Benjamin's POV:

"That's not soon enough. Why am I only hearing of this now?"

Joseph cowers in the doorway as Gerard stands small and afraid beside him.

"I- I apologize, sir. Finances only informed us of the loss the other day."

"Sounds like an excuse to me."

A menacing scowl finds its way onto my face as I hastily leave the office, striding down the hallway at full force. I don't care to check if Gerard manages to keep up with me as I storm furiously into the elevator.

Fucking finances. They can hardly keep their heads on long enough to keep my company out of debt.

I take deep, controlled breaths as the metal doors slide shut, calmly counting to ten in my head like Sarah always advises me to do.

A shy giggle suddenly emanates through the small space. I snap my head around to see a short blonde, who I recognize to be Claire, standing beside me, smirking like she's just won the lottery.

"What's wrong?" She mewls.

I glare at her, my eyes scorching as she takes a step towards me. Normally, I'd admire her confidence, as my death stare usually melts my employees to their feet, but today, I'm far from in the mood to put up with her feeble attempts to flirt with me. Her hand lands on my arm, and I purse my lips as she speaks once more in that ratty voice of hers.

"Did you and Aria break up? I knew it wouldn't last."

A sound close to a growl emanates from the back of my throat as fiery rage burns through my veins.

"Fuck off."

She places her hand over her heart, feigning hurt at my harshness. I only see this because of the mirrors surrounding us, because I refuse to look at her.

She's what triggered mine and Aria's break up in the first place. If it wasn't for her, I might not have had to endure two weeks of deathly heartache.

"You don't really mean that."

She coos in a singsongy voice.

"Don't tell me what I do and don't mean, Claire. Leave me alone. And find a new fucking job."

I slam my hand again the rusted metal of the elevator door to reign in my rage, before swiftly leaving her alone once more; dumbstruck and openmouthed.

* * *

"What is it?"

"Nothing."

I snap without meaning to. I feel Aria's offended gulp in my heart as she turns to gaze out of the car window once more. I blanch, realizing I've taken my anger out on someone who's done nothing but try and soothe it.

"It's just...work." I say as a means of explanation. She turns to me, analyzing me with those penetrating blue eyes of hers.

"What happened?"

I shake my head as she reaches for my hands, unfurling the fists they've formed. She runs her fingers over my knuckles which are stark white from my clenching them so hard.

"Claire."

Her eyes widen.

"I fired her."

I watch her expression change carefully.

"Say something," I say after too many seconds of eerie silence.

Her mouth twists into a frown, eyebrows furrowed.

"Well. I hope she finds another job soon."

"Do you mean that?"

There's a beat of silence.

"No."

I chuckle as she bursts into a fit of laughter, gorgeous eyes glittering as she laughs. And just like that, my anger is forgotten. The fury I've been trying to dismiss for hours now disintegrates at the mere sound of her giggling like a school girl.

"What are your parents going to think of me?"

Her quiet question takes me off guard.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I mean- last time we met I was your assistant, and now..."

"Look, they have as little experience with me bringing a girl to dinner as I have with...bringing a girl to dinner."

She smiles, gazing down at our entwined fingers with that timid smile of hers.

I hear her sharp intake of breath as we slowly pull into my parents' spacious driveway. I stifle the roll of my eyes at the sight of yet another new car parked beside my father's five others. As I release Aria's hand, allowing her a moment to clamber out of the car, my nervousness at the prospect of introducing her to my parents instantaneously dawns on me.

What if she hates them? I know I do.

I stop myself. No, I don't hate them. I owe my life to them. But they're not the easiest people to relate to, never mind have dinner with.

Would it be a game changer? If she hated them?

"Hey."

Aria's gentle voice brings me from my thoughts, and suddenly, she grasps my face in her hands, surprising both Alejandro and I by kissing me feverishly. I hear my bodyguard's sharp intake of air as he hurriedly clambers back into the car and drives away. Just as I begin to deepen our kiss, Aria pulls away, eyes alight with childish excitement.

"C'mon. Time to meet the parents...for the second time."

She smiles once more, reassuring me, before dragging me behind her and up to the front door. We've hardly reached the porch steps before the door swings open, revealing my mother dressed head to toe in Gucci, and my sister lingering behind her with a gigantic, confused grin on her face.

"Benjamin! And- Aria?"

* * *