Chapter 31

I stop running my hands through his hair for a second, and instantly his eyes flutter back open.

"Why'd you stop?"

His voice is already heavy with sleep, and I feel my cheeks flush for reasons I can't explain as I mutter a flustered reply.

"I don't want you to regret this."

I hear him exhale quietly before he begins straightening up. I'm given about a second to take in his abrupt change in stance before his strong hands suddenly grasp the sides of my face. An uncontrollable gasp leaves my lips as he brings my face so close to his that our noses brush.

"Let me kiss you, Aria."

His words have to ring around the air a few times before I can actually process them, but when I do, my entire body sparks to life from pure anticipation. Something powerful overtakes me as I snake my arms around his neck, pulling his chest flush against mine and grinning from ear to ear. And then, his soft lips are on mine, moulding perfectly against them as his hands slip deep into my hair. I let out a quiet sigh of pleasure, desperately deepening the kiss as I fall back onto the bed so he hovers just above me. I feel my lungs begin to burn suddenly, and I'm forced to pull away in order to inhale deeply as I realize that my breathing is still rather stunted from earlier.

Did that just happen?

My eyes dart back up to meet his, and I watch as the lustful glaze they've developed slowly subsides as he realizes why I'm panting so much harder than he is. I can tell that he wants more than a simple kiss, but amazingly, he pushes that all back and instead smiles charmingly at me. His thumb brushes under my eye gently, and I swallow deeply, regaining control over my heart rate as he tucks a strand of my hair lightly behind my ear.

Oh my God. We just kissed.

I see a small smirk flit across his lips, and I raise an eyebrow as he hoists us back up into a sitting position again.

"I'm not usually into blondes."

He comments teasingly, and I scoff; unimpressed.

"I don't believe that for a second."

"But, it's always good to try new things."

I sigh deeply as I realize that the moment has passed and both of our adrenaline levels are slowly plummeting.

"What time is it?" I say through a yawn, and Benjamin chuckles lightly as he checks his watch.

"Late. Sleep." He commands, standing from the bed and grabbing the covers to tuck me in. I can't help but smirk as he brings the duvet up to my neck, securing it under my chin with graceful hands.

"Thank you."

I beam at him, and we both know I'm thanking him for more than I'm letting on. He sighs exasperatedly, and soon enough, his broad back is all that I see as he leaves the room, latching the door shut silently behind himself.

* * *