Chapter 67

"Your place or mine?"

I snap out of my daydream at the sound of Benjamin's husky voice.

"Huh? Oh, um...mine?"

He arches a single eyebrow at my reply, before repeating it to someone I don't recognize seated with perfect posture in the driver's seat. I try my best not to look offended by his reaction, but I'm pretty sure I fail miserably because I feel him nudge me lightly in the ribs after a beat of silence.

"Don't sulk, Aria; I happen to very much like your apartment."

Now it's my turn to raise an eyebrow.

"Okay, well, it is on the cozy side."

I scoff.

"But I'm not complaining, because it also has a smaller bed."

My face heats up as he smirks suggestively, his eyes dark and brooding, before he slides closer to me, his fingers brushing my hip.

"Is sex all you think about?" I say without thinking.

The moment I realize what I've said, I glance consciously at the driver in the front seat, but thankfully, he's still staring impassively out of the front window. Benjamin, however, looks amused for a moment, before his face darkens.

"You know very well that it used to be, but with you...not so much. With you...I'm more concerned with what makes you laugh."

My heart swells at that.

"You are... really sweet sometimes."

The corners of his mouth lift up into a crooked smile

"I know." He mutters, and I roll my eyes affectionately.

"Okay, Mr. Humble," I say with sarcasm, but on the inside, I'm still reeling.

Does he really think like that?

"You better have some food in your fridge. I'm so hungry."

He exclaims, changing the subject of our conversation.

"Well, you're in luck; I was planning on making some cookies tonight."

His eyes flutter to me, and he smiles widely.

"I can see you're happy about that," I say with a laugh.

My brain has finally tuned back into things, and I realize that one of his hands has subconsciously hooked around my waist. He seems to notice this too, as the smirk he wore earlier is back on his plump lips in full stride. I notice that slightly more color tints his face than earlier, and I'd very much like to think that it's my doing. Without warning, he leans steeply forward to brush his nose against mine, enveloping me in his heavenly cologne, mixed in with my favorite scent of all; Benjamin. My breathing catches and I'm pretty sure he hears it because his smirk only widens.

"Mr. Hansen, sir."

Both Benjamin and I jerk apart at the sound of the driver's inexpressive voice.

Damn it.

I can't help my annoyance as the bald man in sunglasses gestures towards the door. Forced to clamber out first due to our positioning, I stumble out into the street lacking even more grace than usual as Benjamin grasps the stack of paperwork in the middle seat, before following me up the steps to my front door. Feeling more self-conscious than usual walking into my scruffy living room with such a rich and downright beautiful man trailing behind me, I force myself not to glance back around when I hear him thump down on the couch. He has been here before, and he didn't complain then, but I still can't help but feel embarrassed.

"I'll get you some Tylenol and start baking in five minutes, okay? Do you wanna order in for dinner or...?" I can't help but trail off as I turn back around to see Benjamin laying face-down on the couch, with his shoes still on and his face buried in a pillow.

"Ben..." I whisper, already predicting the long and tedious scolding I'll be receiving from Jenny for the dirt he's currently staining the couch with.

Speaking of Jenny, where is she?

I glance speculatively around the apartment just as Benjamin mumbles something that I can't quite make out, probably because he's talking into a pillow. Smiling at how incredibly adorable he is when he's not in CEO mode, I place two pills and a glass of water on the coffee table in front of him as silently as I can, placing a light hand on the back of his head in the process.

"I'm going to order a pizza for me and make you some soup. Do you want to sleep in a bed or are you fine here?"

Finally, he pulls his face out of the pillow. His nose has turned pink from nuzzling into the couch so aggressively, and I have to bite down on my bottom lip to stop myself from swooning as he replies.

"No, no- I want to help you bake."

A grin spreads across my face as I picture him trying to navigate mine and Jenny's tiny kitchen. As I start to walk away, I see a lopsided smirk distort his features.

"What?" I ask him curiously.

"Or you could join me...?"

It's impossible to deny the hope to his voice as he rolls onto his side, leaving enough space for someone considerably smaller than me to lay next to him. He seems to realize this, as he lets a grumpy sigh leave his lips before he slumps back down on his stomach again.

"Or not."

I comment teasingly as I stand from my crouching position again. I can't help but notice how much his demeanor has changed now that he thinks no one else can see him; he's no longer bothering to put on a strong facade, and he doesn't feel the need to command everyone in the room anymore; I'm quite thankful, to say the least. He's succumbed to whatever illness it is he's suffering from and looks much too domestic laying on such a scruffy couch in my tiny apartment.

"Okay, I'll start." I mutter, and he mumbles incoherently again in reply.

* * *