Chapter 40

The look of annoyance that he gives me at that moment is piercing enough to melt ice.

"What? Of course, I will."

Rather conscious of how close our faces are, I gulp before speaking.

"Were you adopted?"

He meets my eyes again, and I see confusion flash behind the vibrant green as we stare at each other.

"Yes, I was. When I was 6."

"Justin."

The name leaves my lips in a rush, and whilst Benjamin is distracted by the shock of what I've just told him, I slide out from my position pinned against the wall, and march towards the door. But just as I'm pushing it open, I suddenly feel it again; the strong grip on my lower arm. I turn around and all of my senses are sent into overdrive as Benjamin moves directly in front of me.

"You are so incredibly incompetent, Aria."

I roll my eyes, opening my mouth to object.

"...and I want to kiss you for it."

I gaze up into his bewitching eyes, feeling the blush creeping onto my cheeks way before my mind can catch up to things. His eyes are burning with something close to bewilderment, and everything I could've possibly been worried about earlier just fades from my mind as he slowly releases my arm, seeming somewhat assured that I'm not going to run now.

No, no, no- he can't be what you need, Aria!

His hands find the sides of my face again, pulling our faces so our noses brush.

"One night, Aria- will you give me one night?"

He's begging now, and it's only when he begins to actually lean in that I snap back into reality, and, although it takes everything in me, I turn my face, backing away from him and his enthralling eyes whilst I still have the capability to do so.

"I'm sorry."

His eyes widen, and for a second I feel as if he might get angry again, but then he surprises me by shrinking away instead.

"I don't understand-"

"-no, no, of course, you don't, but I just- I don't want to get hurt," I say with a small whimper.

"If it's one night or nothing at all, you choose nothing at all?"

"I'm sorry," I mutter again, feeling my throat drying as he stares at me with unreadable eyes.

"I think...I think I need to quit."

He stares at me in disbelief.

"I'm sorry...I think it's what's best. I'll just head back home as soon as I can-"

He opens his mouth to speak, but I get in before he can.

"-Benjamin, please- it's been a long night."

"Wait."

The desperation in his voice catches me off guard, so I stop walking.

"Just tell me what it is that you don't like."

I whip around to face him, feeling the surge within me telling me that now is the only chance I'll get to say it. His eyes glisten with confusion, his normally intimidating figure softening as he gazes at me with vulnerability.

"I think the question is what I do like."

He looks lost as I take a step closer to him.

"You're more than a body and a face to me- you have a past and a personality...I'll never understand how someone can be satisfied with just one night with you. You're smart, funny, endearing; I want to be with you, Benjamin, not- not just sleep with you. And if you can't give me a relationship, then I don't want anything."

I only become aware of the tears beginning to sting my eyes when Violet walks back into the room and clasps her hand over her mouth.

"Bye, Mr. Hansen. Violet."

And with those trembling words hanging in the air, I hurriedly leave the room.