Chapter 66

"So what is it you want me to do exactly? Come home with you?"

His tone sounds mocking at first, but then suddenly warms, and I can tell that he's realized he actually likes that idea. I prop myself up using the armrests and jump off his lap, thankfully landing on my feet despite my usual clumsiness. I brush off all the hurt I've been feeling over the past few days and plaster a wide smile on my face.

"Come on, I believe you are in need of some serious TLC."

I can't help but grin from ear to ear as I extend my hand out to him.

"TLC?" He asks innocently.

"Tender loving care?" I clarify as if this might ring some sort of bell, but to my dismay, he still looks confused. Eventually, he makes an effort to get out of his seat, and I feel relief sweep over me at the prospect of getting him out of this building and under a duvet where he belongs. I grasp both of his hands, hauling him to his feet and smiling sympathetically as he lets a shy 'thanks' leave his lips. His hands are abnormally cold and clammy, but I try not to dwell on it as we scale the large office and head towards the door. I release one of his hands long enough to push the door open, only to realize I just knocked over the entire stack of papers Benjamin had his employee leave at the door.

I groan as I lean down to gather the scattered papers now strewn across the corridor. Benjamin crouches down too, clearly intent on helping me, but a pained groan leaves his lips and he clutches his head tightly the second he does so. I figure it's likely due to the noticeable change in altitude; he really is very tall. I can't help but chuckle as I help him back onto his feet, before collecting the last few pieces of paper and adding them to the impressively tall stack.

"Do we have to take them?"

I don't even have to finish my question to know his answer when smiles guiltily at me, pearly whites glinting. Sighing, I make an attempt to lift the pile off of the ground but instead find myself squealing in surprise at how shockingly heavy they are.

How on earth did one small guy carry these?

I realize Benjamin is failing miserably at stifling a laugh to my left, and I give him the iciest glare I can muster over the heap of paperwork impressively reaching from my waist all the way up to my chin.

"Here, I can take it."

"No, it's okay," I reply quickly, much too determined to be helpful to admit that I can feel my arms straining beneath the hefty weight. We take a few steps without incident, but once we reach the elevator, I'm forced to put the papers down on the floor beneath me in order to bring my arms back to life. Before I can object, Benjamin reaches down to take half of the stack, balancing it easily on one arm and giving me a knowing look as I scowl in a strange mixture of annoyance and gratitude.

We attract a decent amount of attention as we stumble through the lobby; well, I stumble, Benjamin gracefully strides, but I shrug it off as something else slightly more important dawns on me.

"Um, I took a taxi here, so how do we...?"

I don't even bother finishing my sentence as a slick black limo cruises to a slow stop in front of us.

How? When did he even tell anyone?

"Come."

He takes my hand and leads me up to the elegant car, gracefully opening my door for me and then walking over to his side.

Will I ever get used to this Greek God of a man holding my hand?

I'm pretty sure the answer will always be a stern no. I suddenly realize, once again, that he's taken control, and I scowl at the realization.

Can't I lead him around for once?

Benjamin places his half of the stack in the passenger seat between us, before he sinks down next to it with a sigh, closing the door behind himself. Once again, I find myself, in awe of the effortlessness at which he moves. He always exudes such confidence; it's incredibly alluring and very attractive. I realize it really isn't just his looks, it's much, much more than that.